All browser extensions (Chrome, FF, Safari) simply open One Password Mini 7 main window

Chubaloo
Chubaloo
Community Member

Pretty much the title...

Before updating to V7 when clicking on any browser extension you would get a sub menu in the browser to select the password/login etc.

If you right clicked on the web page you would get a context menu that you could run through to select identities/credit cards etc.

Now, when you click the browser extension button (or right click), it simply opens the main One Password Mini Window in the same window position it was last opened with.

All browser extensions have been reinstalled but no change.

So I am unsure why browser extensions no longer behave like they did in previous versions of One Password. As this doesn't happen with my Windows machine, I do not think it is intended design for OSX.

Thanks

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 4.7.1.9
OS Version: OSX 10.13.5
Sync Type: One Password

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Chubaloo: 1Password mini is certainly different in version 7, but I'm not sure what "context menu" in the webpage that you're referring to. 1Password mini should open in the same position you last used it onscreen when you click the 1Password menu bar icon, browser tool bar button, or press ⌘ ⌥ \ to show mini. Let me know if that's not the case for you. As always, you can use ⌘ \ to fill a login for the current webpage.

• Chubaloo
    Chubaloo
    Community Member

Hi @brenty,

So what is the point of the one browser extension if now all it is is a small button that launches the main One Password Mini window? It seems it just takes up real estate in my browser when I have the One Password Icon right there in the OSX menu bar?

To answer your question on the context menu, it was this one that i was referring too, that used to "expand" out but now does nothing outside of just launch One Password Mini.

My confusion stems because...

1) The browser extensions seem pointless as per the point above.
    2) Windows extensions still behave as expected with a sort of one password mini-mini inside the browser.

It seems to take me an extra click to do certain things (like insert credit card info etc) in 1P 7 than it did in 6,

Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

So what is the point of the one browser extension if now all it is is a small button that launches the main One Password Mini window?

@Chubaloo: The browser extension is more than just a button. Honestly, a lot of people never touch that button. But the extension itself, under the hood, is what allows 1Password to integrate with the browser. Otherwise we'd all just be copying and pasting all the time. :)

It seems it just takes up real estate in my browser when I have the One Password Icon right there in the OSX menu bar?

That's fair. You can probably just remove it from your toolbar then!

To answer your question on the context menu, it was this one that i was referring too, that used to "expand" out but now does nothing outside of just launch One Password Mini.

Ah, gotcha. Normally "context menu" refers to what you get when right-clicking, so that confused me a bit. You're referring to the old 1Password mini. The new one is fundamentally the same, except it shows more information now without having to open flyout submenus -- mostly visual changes to accommodate things like editing, showing all categories, etc.

My confusion stems because...
    1) The browser extensions seem pointless as per the point above.

Sorry for the confusion there. Hopefully my answers above help, but let me know if you have other questions.

2) Windows extensions still behave as expected with a sort of one password mini-mini inside the browser.

Gotcha. Indeed, it's a little different from the old way. We'll continue to refine the design, and then the Windows app will be able to benefit from the work we're doing here in the future as well.

It seems to take me an extra click to do certain things (like insert credit card info etc) in 1P 7 than it did in 6,

That's a good point. It's an extra click, but it's also faster than having to hover and wait for a flyout submenu -- you can click immediately without waiting, or use the arrow keys, which can be even faster.

It can definitely be an adjustment when things change, but as you get used to the new 1Password mini we'll also be improving it to make it even more useful. Thanks for your feedback! :)

• Chubaloo
    Chubaloo
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply @brenty,

For the record, I was talking about the context menu when you right click in Firefox. The image shows this.

I have no problem with change and moving software forward, but on a large 4k monitor the way one password behaves now is much less efficient than it did in the past, at least for me.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Chubaloo - I hope some of brenty's suggestions and clarifications gave you some idea of how to utilize/understand the new design and functionality of 1Password 7, in a way that can make it work better for your own workflow. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We appreciate every bit of constructive feedback we get, especially because we know people probably have numerous other things they could be doing with their time instead of writing in to our forums or email support. So, thanks. :)

This discussion has been closed.