Can't sign into 1Password on new MacBook Pro

richpass
richpass
Community Member

Hello,

Up until last week I've been using 1Password on my 2011 MacBook Pro. It suddenly died so I've now purchased a MacBook Pro 2017. I've downloaded the 1Password app again in order to sign in on my new machine and access my passwords however, it keeps asking me for a Secret Key. As far as I know, I've never had one.

I use 1Password on my iPhone as well, where currently all my passwords are. I've gone into Settings > 1Password Accounts but the only options there are 'Add existing account' and Start your free trial'.

I originally bought the 1Password standalone app from the website. What do I need to do in order to access my passwords on my new MacBook Pro?

Thank you

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• richpass
    richpass
    Community Member

After doing some more research it seems that I will need to sign up for a membership.
    How do I transfer all my passwords over? Also, how are my password synced and backed up? Where are they backed up to?

Thank you

• 2008crna
    2008crna
    Community Member

You don't need to sign up for a membership. You can purchase a standalone license as well. You do have to upgrade from inside the 1Password app though, a little confusing but it works.

• richpass
    richpass
    Community Member

I've already got a standalone license when I bought the 1Password a couple of years ago. I want to make sure that all my passwords are backed up with 1Password because it seems like I can't retrieve any of them from my dead Macbook. I'm just very glad I installed 1Password on on my iPhone...

I would appreciate some help from any developers out there please.

• Andrew_Lapadat
    Andrew_Lapadat
    1Password Alumni

Hey @richpass

First we should find out how your vault is backed up. We will need to do this from your phone, as it sounds like it still has your vault. Under Settings -> Vaults -> Primary (assuming you've only got 1 standalone vault), could you tell us what the sync option says? It could be either Dropbox, iCloud or WLAN Sync. Once we know how your vault is being backed up, we can try and restore it to your new MacBook Pro.

You don't need a 1Password account, and the Secret Key the desktop app has been asking for is purely for such accounts, but we do recommend them because it makes situations like this simpler as well as being more secure than other backup methods.

• richpass
    richpass
    Community Member

Thank you for your response, it is saying that the current Sync Service is WLAN.

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni

Hi @richpass, you can find information on how to sync the 1Password data on your iOS device with your Mac using WLAN here.

Please let us know if you have anymore questions.

• richpass
    richpass
    Community Member

Thank you @jadchaar . Do I need 1Password 6 or 7 for this to work?

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018

Hi again @richpass. I am pleased to let you know that both 1Password 6 and 7 for Mac work with WLAN sync :smile:.

• richpass
    richpass
    Community Member

Thank you, I will give it a go!

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni

Please let us know how it goes @richpass! To prevent something like this happening in the future, you should give our 1Password account a try :smile:.

• richpass
    richpass
    Community Member

@jadchaar Seems that I've fallen at the first hurdle. I've opened 1Password 6 on my Macbook. but I can't access Preferences because it's not selectable.

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni

Hi @richpass, WLAN sync should be available under "More Options..." in the section titled "Used 1Password before?" in the second screenshot you posted.

• richpass
    richpass
    Community Member

@JadC Sorry, it's not there

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018

Hi @richpass, apologies. I am not too familiar with WLAN sync. I have asked some team members for assistance, and they will be in contact with you shortly. If you do not receive a reply within the next 4-6 hours, please let me know.

ref: SWY-94535-716

• Andrew_AG
    Andrew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @richpass. Syncing a vault via WLAN Server from an iOS device to a new Mac works a little differently than the other way around. First, just to be safe, please make a backup of your vault in 1Password 7 for iOS by following the instructions in our https://support.1password.com/backups/?ios guide. If you make full backups of your iOS device to iTunes, now would be a good time to do so as well. Just so you don’t worry, these steps aren’t likely to cause you to lose data, but when your iOS device is the only device with the data, I like to play it safe.

Next, disable WLAN sync in the 1Password 7 for iOS app, since you’ll have to set this up again. You can do this from “Settings > Sync” in the 1Password 7 for iOS app.

You should now create an empty standalone vault in 1Password 7 for Mac, using the same Master Password you’re using on the iOS device. To do so, select “More Options... > Create a standalone vault” in the 1Password 7 for Mac app. Once it’s set up, go to “1Password 7 > Preferences... > WLAN Server” and enable WLAN sync. You can then sync to it from the 1Password 7 for iOS app as well.

Thanks.

• richpass
    richpass
    Community Member

Thanks @Andrew_AG it worked! I used 1Password 6 instead of 7 though because I have a standalone licence.

I have just a couple more questions to safeguard myself in future please:

After everything was set up, I also went on my MacBook to Preferences > Sync and used the feature to sync with Dropbox which made a file called "1Password.opvault". If my MacBook dies and I have to get a new one, can I use this file to restore everything on a new MacBook? Also does this Dropbox syncing happen automatically and if so when does it happen?

Thank you for all the help!

• Andrew_AG
    Andrew_AG
    1Password Alumni

No problem, @richpass. I'm glad to hear it.

If you're okay syncing to Dropbox, I'd actually suggest switching fully to Dropbox sync in general rather than using WLAN sync if you're going to stick with a standalone vault rather than a 1Password.com subscription account. That way, all changes on all devices will be automatically synced to your 1Password.opvault in Dropbox no matter which one you make the change on. If you're interested in switching fully to Dropbox sync, We have a support guide that explains how to do just that. Please check it out at https://support.1password.com/sync-with-dropbox/ and let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.