Upgrading 1Password on a second Mac and password syncing

BSchott
BSchott
Community Member

I had been using Dropbox (standalone) but recently upgraded to a Family membership. Everything is working great on my iMac and I have created several vaults. But I recently used our Macbook Air and it could only see items left in the personal vault. My iPad and Android phone are working great. Android does need the new Family master password and the iPad fortunately uses fingerprint so I don't have to type in that crazy new master password.
I've also noticed that to unlock 1Password on the iMac I still use the same master password I used before for dropbox, not the new one I created for my Family account. When I first launched 1Password 7 it took me to the Preferences->Sync page to pick an option but since i did not know what t do i cancelled out of that window.
When I look at Preferences, Sync options I see None, iCloud, Dropbox and Folder. I thought under the Families these vaults were stored on the 1Password site and sync'd to my devices but I don't see that as an option. Does that mean I am using folder? What option should this be set to and how can I get my Macbook air to see all the vaults?
As you can tell i am quite confused and need help.

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: ??

Comments

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni

Hi @BSchott! Sounds like you still might have some data outside of your 1Password Family account that should be moved inside of it. On your iMac, if there is data in those standalone vaults that is not available when you sign into your Family account over at start.1password.com, you can move those items into your "Private" vault in your account.

Once all your data is safe inside your 1Password Family account, you can follow our quick steps here to delete the standalone vaults on all your devices and switch them all over to your account. In doing that, the "Sync" menu on your iMac will disappear and the app's Master Password will switch to align with your account's.

Let me know if you need any help along the way, I'm here for you. :)

• BSchott
    BSchott
    Community Member

Thanks - I thought all my passwords were moved into my private vault when I first went to Family licensing. I then moved to 6 other vaults, leaving a few in Private. But I also see I still have a 1Password.agilekeychain in my dropbox account dated June 8th and sized at 15.8 MB. So you are right that i must still have some there. if I open it, I get a message about being in an old format. I think that date is when I last used the Macbook Air. maybe i need to remove 1Password form the Air, download 1Password7 and re-login. I'll give that a try next.

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni

You're welcome @BSchott! It's definitely possible you still have some data in that AgileKeychain.

The reason you're seeing that old format message is because 1Password 7 discontinued support for that old AgileKeychain format: you should be able to open it on your iMac or MacBook Air by converting it to an OPVault when prompted! Once you've got that vault open in the 1Password app, you can move its data into one of the vaults in your account.

• BSchott
    BSchott
    Community Member

All set. I found in a 1Password forum search that all I had to do was go to preferences -> Accounts and enter my master password! Too obvious...

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni

@BSchott glad you found your answer! Let me know if you need any more help anytime. :)

This discussion has been closed.