iPassword will not close/update

Barryuk
Barryuk
Community Member

I am a new user of iPassword on MacBook Pro. Several days ago, an update appeared in the App store. However, it will not let me update unless I close iPassword. Fair enough, but Ipassword will not close and I cannot find a way of closing it without removing the software completely. So far, my experience with password has not been a good one as it seems a bit 'buggy'. Any ideas please?

1Password Version: 7.0.1
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: 11.1.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

When you are in 1Password 7 just press control + option + command + Q. That will quit 1Password 7 completely and should enable you to apply the update. There is an accepted bug in the App Store version of 1Password 7 which AgileBits will fix in due course.

Stephen

• luv314159
    luv314159
    Community Member

Is the main app for 1Password 7 supposed to close when you close the window and switch to another app? I feel like sometimes it stays running and other times it closes out.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

Is the main app for 1Password 7 supposed to close when you close the window and switch to another app?

If you are using the latest version (1Password 7.0.4) then when you quit using command + Q the main 1Password app window should close. However, 1Password mini will continue to run so you can still invoke it when you need, for example, to fill in a login. If you want to close 1Password 7 completely for any reason (in which case you won't be able to invoke 1Password mini until you launch 1Password 7 again) then use the command referred to in my previous post in this thread.

Stephen

• luv314159
    luv314159
    Community Member

All of that works as you say. However it still seems like closing the app window doesn't exhibit consistent behavior. As best I can tell, if I open up the app, and then close the window, the app auto-quits (disappears from my dock). Of course, I understand there's still a background process running for 1password mini, but the main app quits. If, however, I've been using the main app for a while, and I close the window, then it won't auto-quit and stays present in my dock. If I click it in the dock it creates a new window. Doesn't really bother me, but seems like inconsistent behavior, and wondering if that's intended or possibly a bug.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@luv314159: I agree. That does sound odd. I'm not seeing that behaviour here though. Can you install the latest version and let me know what happens?

https://1password.com/downloads/

• luv314159
    luv314159
    Community Member

I'm running 7.0.4, OS 10.13.5. Must be something weird about my system.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I hate to leave it at that, but I'm not even sure what to ask at this point. If you notice or think of something please let me know. I'm really curious, whether it's something specific to your setup, or some edge case with 1Password itself that we haven't been able to identify yet.

• gunnlaugr
    gunnlaugr
    Community Member

MacOS version 10.13.6 and updates 7.1 and 7.1.1.
    They showed this same behavior. I had to either restart the Mac or go through and do the control + option + command + Q so that the app quit completely before I could update it.

• @gunnlaugr,

The change that resolves that will be coming in 7.2, so you will first notice the change when updating from 7.2 to whatever the version after 7.2 ends up being.

• gunnlaugr
    gunnlaugr
    Community Member

Great thanks.

• :+1: :)

Ben

• Angelma36
    Angelma36
    Community Member

I tried several times today to update 1Password on my MacBook Pro. It thinks its open. So...I close 1Password and all Browsers and reboot my MacBook and nothing changes. Did it twice. Stumped as to what to do. Thanks1

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.0.7 (70007001) Mac App Store
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Mac OS Sierra 10.13.6
    Sync Type: iCloud
    Referrer: forum-search:1Password is not open, but can't download update on my MacBookPro. Message says 1Password is open

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Angelma36 - I'm sorry for the trouble! Did you Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu)? If not, please try that. And you may also want to check in Activity Monitor (which is in the Utilities folder inside your Applications folder) to see if any rogue 1Password processes are still running. Type 1pass into Activity Monitor's search bar, and you should be able to see if there are any. If you find some, quit them. Then try the update again. Let us know how that goes for you. :)

• Angelma36
    Angelma36
    Community Member

Thanks! Just saw this.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Great! Glad Lars was able to help. We're here if you need us. :)

This discussion has been closed.