Import is greyed out trying to move from Keychain to 1Password

Dan1P
Dan1P
Community Member

Following the instructions and I am not am honors degree student in coding but have surprised myself and got as far as having the converted file on my desktop following 1Password’s recent June 2018 export instructions.

So when I click file on 1Pssword7 and or from the 1Password from the Mac App Store (I have tried both), the ‘import’ option from the file menu os greyed out each time.

I am leaving Apple and moving to 1Password is my final step, feels so close but this is stopping me not sure what to do next.

Any help will be hugely appreciated

Thanks in advance!

Dan

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2018

Hi @Dan1P

I’m not entirely sure I understand what you are trying to accomplish, but a couple of key words in your description make me think you have exported your macOS Keychain, have used the keychain converter from the converter suite, and are now having trouble getting the resulting 1P_import.1pif file which is on your Desktop, imported into your 1Password.

If this is correct, then the answer may be as simple as selecting an individual vault (vs All Vaults) and the Import menu should then be available for you (Import is not available when All Vaults is selected).

And if this is correct, congrats on getting so far! :-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Dan1P: I don't have a better guess than MrC, so hopefully you're all set. But if you need anything let us know. :)

• Dan1P
    Dan1P
    Community Member

hello mr c.

so what i did was, export it all from apple mac keychain, got quite far with the instructions, but 3 hours in and various keychain erroer messages, decided to give up and ended up manually copy and pasting all the passwords directly into 1password

into 1 password.

then was advised to move my icloud data to 1 password account, did this via the mac. setup a 1password acccount to do this.

during setup it explained there is a secret key. was going to note it down but had took hours to do it all so far and it said if you don't wish to take down your secret key don't worry that can be sorted later on.

then 1password recomended me to delete my icloud 'vault' now it had all been copied into my 1password account.

then i was pushing the deadline for shipping my mac, so now i had my 1password account setup with all the keychain imported into it, i erased my mac ready for shipping, shipped the mac, then a few hours later opened up my new Pixelbook, ready to access my 1password passwords on there.

found my most recent email regarding the secret key thing that i was told could sort out later, and realised the only way to know my secret key was to login to my account, but could not login into my account without the secret key!

everything lost! devastated! took hours to manually copy and paste them !

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Dan1P: It sounds like you put your data into your account but don't have your account credentials. Are you certain you don't have them anywhere? If you have the app setup with your account on any of your devices currently you should be able to get the Secret Key there.

Otherwise, 1Password backs up your data automatically, so unless you (or something else on your machine) deleted everything, in iCloud, etc., you should be able to restore it. I'd like you to generate a diagnostic report so we can take a look:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@agilebits.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#ZGU-23777-362]

If you’re reading this and you are not Dan1P, this Support ID is for Dan1P only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. Let me know once you've sent it. And especially let us know if you have backups at all -- Time Machine, etc. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: ZGU-23777-362

• Dan1P
    Dan1P
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

thanks @brenty but as I said they were all trasnferred out of iCloud to 1Password and did not get the secret key right away assumed when it said i could sort that out later that i could, it probably assumed i would be re accessing and logging in again from the same computer and not erasing my macbook and moving to a new computer.

should be more clear when explaining you can get your secret key later on as i assumed all would be okay.

anyway no point in complaining about it it's done now, thanks for the help anyways.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Dan1P: Again, unless you personally erased the data from iCloud, it would still be there in that case; 1Password won't do this automatically. I'd encourage you to send the information via email as I requested so we can see if there's something we can do to help.

This discussion has been closed.