I think, Do you think so?

mrHaBa
mrHaBa
Community Member

what's the difference between an "account" and freestanding?
Do I need an account to get the family plan?
I think I may have "Pro" - I can synch between devices and make changes).
To be honest I don't know if I have an account. If I do I do not know my secret key nor any account info, when I look online I'd need one to get the other. I don't know my registered email either.
Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

what's the difference between an "account" and freestanding?

The standalone license requires a one-time payment and allows you to continue to use that version as long as you wish without further payment, so long as an update to the operating system doesn't break in and render it unusable. Each license entitles one user to run the applications on as many machines of the same platform as he/she uses. Licenses can no longer be shared with anyone, including other family members. A new license outs $64.99, but there is a launch special running now that lowers that to $49.99.

Do I need an account to get the family plan?

An account is charged on a monthly basis and allows the account holder to use all of the applications on the supported platforms. Updates are included in the monthly charge. A single user pays $2.99 per month, if paid on an annual basis. A family members allows up to five family members to use the account, and that costs $4.99 per month. So if you want to share with a family, this may be the most economical way to proceed.

To be honest I don't know if I have an account. If I do I do not know my secret key nor any account info, when I look online I'd need one to get the other. I don't know my registered email either.

When you download 1Password 7 and run it for the first time, you will be asked if you want an account or a license. Be careful - the option to buy a license is near the bottom of the welcome screen in fairly small type. If you opt for an account, you will be guided through setting one up and you will then receive the account key, etc.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mrHaBa: Indeed, Hawkmoth's comments should help a great deal. I did want to clarify to answer your original question though: You will only have an account if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership. That’s the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. You can use 1Password without an account and sync your data from another device if you prefer that. But especially in a family setting, a 1Password Families membership is worth considering, as that includes everything 1Password has to offer for up to 5 family members in the base price. It also allows you to easily share vaults securely and help family members recover their accounts if they get locked out — along with many other benefits. And automatic offsite backup and item history means that losing your devices doesn't mean losing your data. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.