Web site and app different passwords?

Madgreek
Madgreek
Community Member

I just updated to a 1Password 7 subscription and I'd like to be able to have a very long and secure password for your web site, but a different shorter password to open the app on my computer/iOS devices. Is this possible?

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.13.4
Sync Type: 1password

Comments

• Dr_Owssap1
    Dr_Owssap1
    Community Member

Hi @Madgreek

I'm not a AB employee, but I'm pretty sure there's no way to have two different master passwords for the same vault. The idea is that when you access your 1P account online, it's the same thing (effectively) as "opening your vault" on the app on your computer/phone, just in a different interface, so it makes sense to have the same password for both, and for it to change in one place if you change it in the other.

However, if you have a phone with a fingerprint reader, you can set your 1P app to unlock using your fingerprint (as I do), which makes it a lot easier to use with a mobile device. As for the computer, the same is true--if your computer has a fingerprint reader you can use that, but mine doesn't--so I just get used to typing my one password (hey!) to get to all the rest. :)

Hope that helps, and just in case, here's the link for setting up TouchID on your phone, and this one is for your computer.

Cheers,
    Doc

• Madgreek
    Madgreek
    Community Member

Thanks Doc, I'm thinking pretty much the same way on that for my desktop. I'm glad I can use Face ID and fingerprints on my iOS devices at least as it's so much faster than typing a long complicated password.

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni

@Madgreek Indeed, you'll have the same Master Password for all of 1Password—Doc offered a perfect explanation as to why.

However, your idea about having even stronger encryption keys securing your vault in the cloud is actually a perfect one! That's exactly what your Secret Key does whenever your vault is off of your device. :)

This discussion has been closed.