passwords older than x years in version 7

HowieJSan
HowieJSan
Community Member

I was looking for the aged passwords field that appeared in version 6 - evidently removed from version 7. However I attempted to do the same in version 7 by searching by days. Doesn't appear to search correctly - just gives me every password.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:search

Comments

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni

Hi @HowieJSan! We did indeed remove the Watchtower function of viewing your old passwords, because as long as your passwords are strong and unique for each site, it doesn't really matter if they're getting on in years—more important, I'd say, is their strength, and whether they are compromised/vulnerable, as Watchtower will tell ya!

If you're still interested in viewing your oldest passwords, you can use the sort dropdown just underneath the "Search 1Password" field to sort them by password age. :)

• HowieJSan
    HowieJSan
    Community Member

Hi Henry,

Yes, I missed the obvious sort by date! The search field where you type in x days appears to be buggy though.

Also please bring back that saved smart search type function. When you’ve got a decade of history in 1password it comes in handy to create some rules which identity what you need to change. ie. A lot of websites were capped out at 8 digit passwords for years.

I think you’re assuming watchtower is aware of all breaches. Safer to change your password at a regular interval, no?

The previous version supported me in sifting through the backlog, the new version feels nicer but less robust for managing a large library.

A decade of use says I love your work.

H

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @HowieJSan,

There can be an argument for changing passwords regularly, the idea being that you may help mitigate the damage from an undisclosed breach before being altered. Of course regularly changing all your passwords can rapidly become a massive chore depending on how many accounts you have. From a practical point of view you may end up needing to assume a more reactive position than proactive simply due to numbers. What probably helps here are the introductions of laws with heavy penalties if companies don't disclose data breaches promptly to their users and various commissions although of course as with any laws these tend to vary quiet heavily depending on the country.

Smart searches should still be available unless you're currently using a 1Password account. Previously the smart searches were saved inside the vault but we still need to create a more platform inclusive approach for the 1Password accounts as smart searches are a neat, but macOS only option. What we want to do is find a way so searches are cross-platform and can then be part of data stored and available across all devices. For local vaults though they should still be present and imported from 1Password 6 if you had existing ones.

This discussion has been closed.