How to have only a local "secondary" vault?

faquick
faquick
Community Member

Hi,

I recently subscribed to an 1password.com account, having decided to upgrade from 6.0 to 7.0 and be able to use all the features from both the online version and the new 1p 7.x

I managed, after reading some threads in the forums, to enable local vaults and adding a dropbox "local" vault.

What I need to do is to keep that vault, because I am sharing it with people that still use version 6.0 and who wish not to upgrade neither to 7.0 nor to a subscription based model right now.

I would be happy to just keep syncing that to a shared dropbox folder while using my 1password.com account for my personal vault.

But I really would like to avoid having an empty "Primary" vault on my Mac, just to keep using that shared vault.

I cannot disable local vaults since I am using the dropbox-shared one, and I cannot delete my Primary vault either.

Is there a supported way to keep just the dropbox synced one and delete that useless local "Primary" vault?

Thank you very much in advance for any help on this topic :)

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS 10.13.5
Sync Type: Dropbox and 1password.com

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

Is there a supported way to keep just the dropbox synced one and delete that useless local "Primary" vault?

If you want local vaults at all, that Primary vault will always be there. If you ever want to delete your local vaults, Primary will be the last one to delete. It can't be deleted before any other local vaults are already gone.

You can prevent it from showing to you. If you open 1Password preferences, in the Vaults tab you will be able to tell 1Password which vaults to show when you display All Vaults. Just remove Primary from the list and it will be out of sight and (eventually) out of mind.

• faquick
    faquick
    Community Member

Yep, that is what I eventually did. But it will be just out of sight, never out of my mind ;)

Could it be a feature that could be added in the future?

Or is there any better way to share a vault with other people without 1password.com accounts (and previous releases)?

• 1Password.com is the only supported way to share 1Password data. It is unlikely that we’d make the change you’re discussing as it would require re-architecting the way standalone vaults work completely. While standalone vaults are still available, and we will add features for them as is practical, I don’t see us making the massive time investment that would be required here. I’m sorry I don’t have the answer you were hoping for, but 1Password.com is the future, especially when it comes to sharing.

Ben

• faquick
    faquick
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

Hi Ben,

thank you for your clarification. Obviously I do not have insider knowledge on how 1password is working its magic :) and of course I understand that working on a feature that is useful for just 1 of your customers would be impossible :)

On a slightly related topic, do you see in the future the chance that family or team accounts can be purchased via the Apple Store subscription model?

Or maybe... giving single account users the chance to share some passwords with a "guest"? I see that it is a feature included in Family accounts, so I believe it might just be a marketing choice, what about maybe giving a single user the chance to share with just 1 guest? :)

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2018

You can currently subscribe to 1Password Families using an Apple subscription. You’d need to set up the 1Password Families membership first and then subscribe through Apple. What isn’t currently possible is upgrading from an individual membership to 1Password Familes while using an Apple subscription.

Note that with Apple’s subscriptions you have a hard limit on the number of people you can invite, as Apple’s system doesn’t allow for the possibility of adding another person for an extra $1 USD / mo. If you anticipate needing more than what is included you’d want to subscribe through our system, which does have that flexibility. Of course you could start on an Apple subscription, and then switch to direct billing if/when you reach that point. Because of this limitation it wouldn’t be possible to offer 1Password Teams this way (as there is no pre-set number of included people).

I don’t have any information about guests coming to individual memberships, but I suspect the answer is 1Password Families. :)

Ben

• faquick
    faquick
    Community Member

I did not know that I could use a Family membership with Apple billing (I did not see a choice when first signing up) so for now I am in the first "trial" month of my 1password.com subscription that I set up from the Apple Store download. Can you please help me in choosing the best path if I later decide to migrate to a Family subscription and keep paying with my Apple Store account? At this point I believe I need to cancel my current subscription first, then activate a (trial?) Family account from 1password.com and then switch to Apple payment. Is that right? Would I lose any data in my account while doing so?

Thank you again for your support. Maybe I should have asked before going straight to installation frenzy :P

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@faquick

I did not know that I could use a Family membership with Apple billing (I did not see a choice when first signing up) so for now I am in the first "trial" month of my 1password.com subscription that I set up from the Apple Store download.

It's a little opaque. Apple doesn't differentiate what each purchase might be, so what you get is the following (circled purchase is the 1Password Families option, the other two are Individual/monthly and Individual/annual):

It's easiest to switch over from the current Individual account to a 1Password Families account if you're willing to switch billing to us directly. What you'd need to do for that would be:
    1. Use these instructions from Apple to cancel your current Individual subscription
    2. Email us at support@1password.com and let us know you've canceled your Apple Subscription, so we can change your billing type in our own database to direct payment.
    3. Once we've done that, sign into your account in a browser and switch from an Individual account to a 1Password Families account by simply inviting family members. Your account will be converted automatically to 1Password Families as soon as you begin inviting others.
    4. We will credit your account the amount you paid for the remainder of the individual subscription, which will apply when you enter your credit card details.

If you're resolved to continue billing via Apple, it gets a bit more complicated since there is currently no easy way to switch account types directly within the context of an in-app purchase via the Mac App Store. What you'd need to do in this case would be:
    1. Visit the main 1Password Families sign-up page and create a new 1Password Families account.
    2. Make sure to save the new Emergency Kit and add your newly-created account to 1Password 7 for Mac. You'll have both accounts there now, with the 1Password Families account on 30-day trial.
    3. Move all the items in your individual account into your 1Password Families account (either your Personal vault or the Shared vault, your choice - or a mixture of the two). This should leave your individual account empty.
    4. Use these instructions from Apple to cancel your subscription for the individual account.
    5. Use the in-app purchase to subscribe to the 1Password Families account.
    6. Sign into your (now-empty) Individual account in a browser, click Settings > Delete Account

You should be all set to go. As you can see, the former is definitely easier, but either way will work. Let us know how you get on! :)

This discussion has been closed.