Cannot export file readable to Bitwarden

ben_marko
ben_marko
Community Member

I decided I do not want to purchase a subscription to 1Password. So I decided to move over to Bitwarden. However, I cannot export a .pif file readable by Bitwarden - it cannot read the 1Password 7-generated .pif file. Bitwarden cannot help me - and their tech support has been great so far - but their website cannot read the file. It can only read the 1Password 6 or earlier .pif and .csv file formats.

Is there a way to export my data in a format that can retain my information and still be exportable to a format readable by password managers like Bitwarden? If I had known I was going to have this much trouble I would not have upgraded.

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: not installed
OS Version: 10.13.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• @ben_marko,

I took a look at the source files for 1pif export and they didn't change at all within the 1Password 7 development cycle. So something else is going on here. What happens if you export a few at a time as a means to find the item or items that bit warden doesn't like?

Rudy

• ben_marko
    ben_marko
    Community Member

I've tried only importing selected groups of files, nothing so far has worked. I'm still messing around with the .csv file, hopefully that will yield something.

• ben_marko
    ben_marko
    Community Member

I was able to get the info into Bitwarden by modifying the .csv file. I am not sure what was wrong, other than maybe the format was different. Here is the webpage I used as a guide:

https://help.bitwarden.com/article/import-data/#generic-csv-format-individual-account

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2018

@ben_marko ,

It is likely that Bitwarden is not properly handing 1PIF correctly, and never has, and that some minor detail about your 1PIF and/or data is causing the issue.

I process 1PIFs routinely (as part of the converter suite) and have detected no change or issues with 1PIF generation or processing.

It really is incumbent on Bitwarden to handle the details of their conversion/import process if they are going to offer it.

This discussion has been closed.