Clicking browser 1P button brings desktop app to front also [known issue]

apasternak
apasternak
Community Member
edited September 2018 in Mac

I searched existing posts, but not seeing this exact issue. With 1P 7, when I click the icon in Firefox to fill a login form, it also brings the desktop app to the front sometimes, as well as showing the mini relevant to the site.

This is distracting and unnecessary because there the desktop app has its own selection and has nothing to do with the URL of the site you're trying to fill in. During a work demo with a browser, it can bring up desktop app with a personal site selected. However, this behavior does not happen 100% of the time, so I cannot provide exact repro steps. But it certainly happens at least a few times daily for me.

The only workaround I know is to minimize the 1P window before clicking 1P icon in the browser, but this is not convenient to do each time.

macOS 10.13.4 (17E202)
Firefox 60.0.2 (64-bit)
1Password 7 Version 7.0.4 (70004001) AgileBits Store

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: macOS 10.13.4
Sync Type: 1P

Comments

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni

@apasternak I'm not seeing anyone else reporting this, and I'm unable to reproduce it myself. I'd love to see a screen recording if you could! Or if you're able to get consistent repro steps with a little more tinkering, that would be wonderful.

In the meantime, I'll keep an eye out for any similar issues!

• Fireboy
    Fireboy
    Community Member

I submitted a case earlier today. Clicking the 1P extension icon in Safari and Chrome make the 1P7 app flash to the front for less than a second, then nothing. Same thing when I want to right click and insert a login into a sign in form.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Fireboy - I'm sorry for the trouble with the main window of 1Password 7 for Mac flashing up for you.

Clicking the 1P extension icon in Safari and Chrome make the 1P7 app flash to the front for less than a second, then nothing.

Can you elaborate on this? Does the main window then disappear? What state was it in previously? Hidden? Visible but obscured behind other apps? Something else?

• Fireboy
    Fireboy
    Community Member

Main 1P window pops in front of browser window, but only for a moment - not even long enough for the 1P window to render.

Previous state was obscured by other apps and also hidden.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Fireboy -- we're currently tracking this one as a bug, and hope to have a fix for it out soon.

ref: apple-1157

• Fireboy
    Fireboy
    Community Member

thanks for the update Lars

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Fireboy - :) :+1:

• apasternak
    apasternak
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

Happened again just now for me, but couldn't repro again to take a screen recording. My behavior is different from the one @Fireboy described, because the main 1P window does not flash, but instead stays permanently up. I click back onto Firefox to put back the browser back in front. This is at the same time Mini is also shown.

In thinking about it some more, it happens when the laptop was asleep, so "first use" case somewhat, or first use in a while at least. Perhaps that helps to troubleshoot it, and I'll provide more details as I see them.

Update: Just got it to happen again, after switching vault groups (from a specific vault, back to All). But then those steps didn't work again, and it stayed in background. It's something to do with initializing 1P or some global checks, which makes it steal focus.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@apasternak - thanks for the research; we'll look into it. We're currently looking at a couple of odd behaviors of this nature.

• SpinalNeon9446
    SpinalNeon9446
    Community Member

I just noticed this as well.

1. The main desktop app is running but hidden in the Dock.
    2. Safari is open with a login form waiting to be filled. I have multiple 1P login items available for that site.
    3. I hit the ⌘\ shortcut to fill the form.

1P Mini correctly opens allowing me to choose which login I want to use. However, the main app window also unhides and activates.

• apasternak
    apasternak
    Community Member

@Henry and @Lars, I was able to capture a repro video of the issue. I hope this helps in getting this resolved. Please let me know if there're any other questions about it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/07wypuak95id4c9/2018-06-18 1P dual popup.mov?dl=0

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@apasternak - thanks for the video evidence! No questions at this time; we're able to reproduce the issue on our end as well. So our developers are working on a fix for it; keep an eye on updates, and thanks for your patience in the meantime. :)

• apasternak
    apasternak
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

Just another minor point, it also looks bad when you have 2 login screens that come up, one on top of another, like in attached. So hopefully this state will be fixed as well.

This is on a brand new laptop / install, so easy to reproduce.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@apasternak - yep! I agree this isn't good; it's part of what you already noticed/reported, just in locked form.

• wghalvorsen
    wghalvorsen
    Community Member

I am having the same problem. It is very annoying, as the main window stays open and on top even after entering the password. I hope this irritating bug can be fixed soon.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @wghalvorsen! I'm sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks for taking the time to let us know about it. We hope to have a solution for it soon.

• wghalvorsen
    wghalvorsen
    Community Member

I was very disappointed to find, after installing the new version 7.0.7, that this very irritating bug still has not been fixed. Lars, almost one month ago you said you were "looking at" this bug. When might we expect the looking to stop and the fixing to begin?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@wghalvorsen - I'm sorry for the delay. However, as you noted, this bug falls into the "annoying" category. In short, although we certainly agree it's a bug and we've still got it on our radar screen, it's not the highest priority item currently. As is usually the case, I don't have any sort of timeline to share with you regarding when you might see a fix for this coming, but keep an eye on updates/release notes and - if you're really eager - turn on "Include beta builds" in Preferences > Updates if you're using 1Password for Mac from us instead of the Mac App Store version. Thanks for your patience.

• wghalvorsen
    wghalvorsen
    Community Member

I am sorry to hear that you do not give priority to a bug that causes a very irritating behavior. Apps should do their jobs in a non-disturbing way. As a software developer I give high priority to such bugs that customers notify me about. Sadly, it appears that Agilebits does not.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@wghalvorsen Thanks for the feedback.

• wghalvorsen
    wghalvorsen
    Community Member

Another 1Password update, and this irritating bug is still not fixed!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, we haven't yet found a way to prevent this from happening on some people's systems. Sorry.

• apasternak
    apasternak
    Community Member

Disappointing it's still happening. At least I've now gotten into the habit of minimizing the main 1P window (Cmd-M) which makes it stay in background. Combined with very slow loading performance (clicking on main window will take 5 seconds with beachball on login screen), and lack of progress on obscuring cc numbers in display, I'm not having a great desktop experience at the moment.

• I'm sorry to hear that @apasternak. If you haven't already I'd suggest starting a thread / emailing us about the performance issue, though I do know we have some performance improvements in 7.2 / 7.2.1 which should be available now.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.