1PW7 usability compared to 1PW6

atomic
atomic
Community Member
edited June 2018 in Mac

1PW7 usability on OSX 10.13.x is a step back imho compared to version 6.

1. Browser Plugin. The new designs usability is what I do not like most. The left pane is too small and is not resizable. Therefore you must go through all your similiar entries if they start with the same letters, or you rename them (not funny with 2000+ entries).
    So either make the pane resizable, or increase the left pane size. Best would be to allow the user to choose between single title (old) or (new) split view.

1. Sync using dropbox opvaults between 1pw7 IOS and 1pw7 OSX seems to be shaky. The IOS devices sometimes disconnect the sync after a while with an error

2. Secure Note Printing. I cannot imagine that someone at AgileBits is pleased with the secure note printing function in 1pw7 OSX. Its more or less useless, because parts of a note is clipped when printing. Clipping occurs at the top (sometimes, depending on printer driver), between page breaks (always) and on the right (always. text is generally printed with a big left offset). Only workaround for the top clipping for me was to add a huge empty markdown code block at the beginning. Tested on several printers, including Epson C1100, Brother DCP-9022 and others. Same happens if trying to print to PDF directly. Also Markdown is printed raw. Good would also be the possibility to add header / footer info, date of printing.

1. Markdown support: Thanks for the partial Markdown support, but a lot of markdown features are missing, like tables, horizontal rules, code syntax highlighting, printing support (see 3). Also, sometimes lists are rendered wrong with a huge space between the list items. Haven't figured out when it happens.

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: OSX 10.10.3
Sync Type: DropBox (standalone license)

Comments

• Hi @atomic! Thanks for all the feedback.

Browser Plugin. The new designs usability is what I do not like most. The left pane is too small and is not resizable. Therefore you must go through all your similiar entries if they start with the same letters, or you rename them (not funny with 2000+ entries).
    So either make the pane resizable, or increase the left pane size. Best would be to allow the user to choose between single title (old) or (new) split view.

We've been considering making this resizable, so I'll let the team know you asked about it.

ref: apple-1391

Sync using dropbox opvaults between 1pw7 IOS and 1pw7 OSX seems to be shaky. The IOS devices sometimes disconnect the sync after a while with an error

Sync should be the same as it was in 1Password 6 – very little has changed here. If the iOS devices are disconnecting, there is likely an issue with the Internet connection on those devices. Could you try using cellular instead of WiFi to see if that makes a difference, and if you notice some consistent behavior?

Secure Note Printing. I cannot imagine that someone at AgileBits is pleased with the secure note printing function in 1pw7 OSX. Its more or less useless, because parts of a note is clipped when printing. Clipping occurs at the top (sometimes, depending on printer driver), between page breaks (always) and on the right (always. text is generally printed with a big left offset). Only workaround for the top clipping for me was to add a huge empty markdown code block at the beginning. Tested on several printers, including Epson C1100, Brother DCP-9022 and others. Same happens if trying to print to PDF directly. Also Markdown is printed raw. Good would also be the possibility to add header / footer info, date of printing.

Indeed, there's some polish to be added here. It's unlikely any of us here at AgileBits actually print our Secure Note items, because 1Password stores them safely for us – printing them means they're unprotected by our Master Password. We've had one report of this so far so I'll add yours to it.

ref: apple-415

Markdown support: Thanks for the partial Markdown support, but a lot of markdown features are missing, like tables, horizontal rules, code syntax highlighting, printing support (see 3). Also, sometimes lists are rendered wrong with a huge space between the list items. Haven't figured out when it happens.

Indeed, we had to leave some out. Full printing support isn't something we plan to add right now.

• derNils
    derNils
    Community Member

Indeed, there's some polish to be added here. It's unlikely any of us here at AgileBits actually print our Secure Note items, because 1Password stores them safely for us – printing them means they're unprotected by our Master Password. We've had one report of this so far so I'll add yours to it.

I’m the one who reported this before (half a year ago!). Obviously this process here is more about registering bugs than fixing them. Just for me to understand: how many complaints does it need before you actually fix it? It is a broken feature! Reading your post makes me wonder whether you are actually professionally developing software of whether you consider yourself as the primary customer?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I’m the one who reported this before (half a year ago!).

@derNils: Are you sure? This appears to be your first post. To be clear, Markdown support wasn't added until version 7, and the notes display is brand new for that, so I'm not sure what you're referring to. Can you provide some context?

Obviously this process here is more about registering bugs than fixing them. Just for me to understand: how many complaints does it need before you actually fix it?

In generally we don't change things just because one person complains, but what are you talking about specifically?

It is a broken feature! Reading your post makes me wonder whether you are actually professionally developing software of whether you consider yourself as the primary customer?

That a bizarrely rude thing to say. Let's keep it civil.

• derNils
    derNils
    Community Member

@derNils: Are you sure? This appears to be your first post. To be clear, Markdown support wasn't added until version 7, and the notes display is brand new for that, so I'm not sure what you're referring to. Can you provide some context?

Sorry, obviously I have not been precise enough. I was not complaining about Markdown support but about the line break bug (point 3 of the original post). This has nothing to do with markdown but also happens with pure text notes. I reported the bug via twitter (and received confirmation). After half a year I asked again via twitter and your colleagues pointed me to this discussion.

In generally we don't change things just because one person complains

That is soooo strange to hear. There is a bug in your software that makes the data of your customers unreadable in certain cases. I understand that you don't like printing but it's an often requested feature in a lot of official contexts and it is often used as a disaster recovery (e.g. in a bank vault).

That a bizarrely rude thing to say. Let's keep it civil.

Sorry, this was drafted a bit too offensive. Let me say it this way: I'm not feeling seriously as a customer here.
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/signin?Target=discussion/comment/444992

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sorry, obviously I have not been precise enough. I was not complaining about Markdown support but about the line break bug (point 3 of the original post). This has nothing to do with markdown but also happens with pure text notes. I reported the bug via twitter (and received confirmation). After half a year I asked again via twitter and your colleagues pointed me to this discussion.

@derNils: No need to apologize. Thanks for clarifying that you're referring only to printing. I was trying to find some earlier context, but I hadn't thought of Twitter.

That is soooo strange to hear. There is a bug in your software that makes the data of your customers unreadable in certain cases. I understand that you don't like printing but it's an often requested feature in a lot of official contexts and it is often used as a disaster recovery (e.g. in a bank vault).

To be clear, the data isn't unreadable in our software. This is an issue with printing. I agree that this is a problem, but with the benefit of knowing how little this feature is used and how insecure it is, I can also appreciate why this isn't a top priority right now. All things being equal, we should do better. though But there are better ways to print if that's what you want to do, and our priority needs to be on securing people's data, not helping them un-secure it. I know that's not what you're looking for, but I have to be realistic. There are a lot more requested improvements. :blush:

Sorry, this was drafted a bit too offensive. Let me say it this way: I'm not feeling seriously as a customer here.

I'm sorry to hear that. That's totally on us. While I can't offer you an immediate solution we're always grateful for the feedback. :(

This discussion has been closed.