New Vault password

iceout
iceout
Community Member

Is the password for a new additional vault only used to encrypt that vault? Is this password needed or used for any other purpose? Once this password is set will I need to ever know it again?

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @iceout,

Are we talking about secondary standalone vaults? If we are then yes, that password is used in the encryption of only that vault. Now you won't be requested for that password by 1Password for Mac because 1Password will store the actual encryption keys within your encrypted data relating to your primary vault but the password is still important. Should you ever need to sync that vault anywhere and connect it to another device you will need the password so that this second copy of 1Password can decrypt the vault and add it. I store passwords for secondary vaults in a Password item in the Primary vault as years ago I did reach a point where I couldn't remember the password for a secondary vault. I had to create a new secondary vault, move everything over and then delete the old one that I couldn't access outside that copy of 1Password.

Did that help at all, if it didn't and you still have questions please do say.

• iceout
    iceout
    Community Member

yes that answers my question thank you

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of littlebobbytables, you're very welcome!

This discussion has been closed.