Why would 1Password 7 stop the most recent OSX update from automatically being applied?

smagoon
smagoon
Community Member

My automatic of update of OSX Sierra did not happen last night there was a message that is was blocked by 1Password.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Why would 1Password 7 stop the most recent OSX update from automatically being applied?

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@smagoon - auto-updates via Apple happen without your involvement, once you turn them on. Most things, like updating an application that has a new version out, you'll never have to worry about. But some of them, like updates to macOS or related items which require a restart of the Mac as part of the process, can indeed be dissented by other apps. Not because those apps control whether you can update macOS, but because if an app is in a certain state (unable to be quit normally), then the installer for the macOS update cannot run without your intervention. And, well, because you're probably asleep and it's 3:15 am or whatever, you're not around to manually close out the offending app. It could be 1Password, it could be something else, but if your Mac can't be restarted, the update will fail...which is the message it sounds like you received.

I can't say what might've caused 1Password to do that, without knowing what was going on with your system at the time of the update, but two things: one, we've not had a glut of people mentioning this sort of issue, so I suspect it was unique to your setup at the time. And two: you can re-run the update manually while you're sitting at your Mac, and monitor the progress. My guess is that if you've restarted since then, you may not even get the same issue a second time. But give it a try and see if that works.

• smagoon
    smagoon
    Community Member

Thanks Lars, I quit 1Password and processed with the update and all is well. I just thought you guys might like to know it occurred in case you start seeing a lot of it.

Thanks,
    Stephen

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@smagoon - thanks! Glad everything worked out for you. Let us know if you run into any further difficulties. :)

This discussion has been closed.