Two different extensions for Firefox?

thijslnl
thijslnl
Community Member
edited June 2018 in 1Password in the Browser

I'm trying out Firefox instead of Chrome for a while and installed the 1Password extension. When I go through the Firefox Addons search I find 1Password X (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1password-x-password-manager/?src=search), developed by 1Password. When I go through https://1password.com/browsers/firefox/ I end up installing "1Password extension (desktop app required)", developed by AgileBits. The first one requires a login action through the url 1password.com, which I completed but afterwards didn't trust.

Are both Firefox extensions from you, or have I been duped into using a fake extension? If both are official extensions, I've got 2 questions:
1) Why have 2 extensions with 2 different developers linked?
2) Why does 1 require users to login, while the other doesn't?

If one is fake, can you please take actions to have it removed from the Add-ons by Firefox, so no one else falls for it?

Hope you can ease my mind on having exposed my credentials to a third party. (Don't worry 2FA is enabled)

Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: macOS 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @thijslnl,

They're both ours. 1Password X was originally designed with the likes of ChromeOS and Linux in mind, platforms where we don't have a native client. As it's a standalone extension it only works with our 1Password accounts. The more traditional extension, the one available direct from our site works regardless of whether you have a 1Password account or licence plus standalone vaults as it connects directly with the native 1Password application that must be running. That extension requires no details as it's merely a dumb bridge between the web page and 1Password which by itself cannot see the page to fill.

We're referred to as AgileBits in the standard extension because that's the name of the company, we're referred to as 1Password in 1Password X partly because somebody somewhere in the chain decided it needed its own account and it is my understanding we have taken steps to refer to the company as 1Password from a legal standpoint, just please don't ask me the specifics as that sort of thing is not a strong point for me.

So you've definitely not fallen foul of a fake extension. We even link to the 1Password X extension from our support page Get to know 1Password X and you may also be interested in About 1Password X security.

Let me know if you have other questions about the two extensions.

• thijslnl
    thijslnl
    Community Member

Thanks for your response, @littlebobbytables! That's good to hear.
    I'll check what the difference is between these two extensions and decide which to use.

Thanks, keep up the good work!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Let us know if you have any questions :smile:

This discussion has been closed.