I am having problems upgrading to the new 7 version because I don't know my secret key

Lgellman
Lgellman
Community Member

I think I have a standalone version and have my license key but not a secret key. When I try to find my secret key under preferences, there is nothing under accounts and to add something, I need my secret key! I'd like to upgrade but it's becoming a huge headache. It's not worth it to me if I need to start over. I emailed support but haven't heard back yet. Is the secret key something I would have made up or was it given to me? Thanks for any help.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: icloud
Referrer: forum-search:secret key

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

If you want to buy a standalone licence (as opposed to using the 1Password.com subscription service) you don't need, and won't have, a secret key. You should be able to buy a standalone licence (if that's what you want to do) either by clicking on the link at the bottom of the setup screen (Need a license? We have those too.) or from within 1Password 7 by choosing the appropriate item on the 1Password 7 menu.

Note that the upgrade, for a standalone licence, from 1Password 6 to 1Password 7 is paid, not free. From this AgileBits' blog post:

Those of you with a standalone license for version 6 will be prompted to subscribe or purchase a license when 1Password 7 first opens. Licenses will cost $64.99 but are available during our launch special for only $49.99. Licenses are per-person, per-platform so you can use your single license on as many Macs as you have.

Stephen

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @Lgellman!

I emailed support but haven't heard back yet.

With the near-simultaneous release of both 1Password 7 for Mac and 1Password 7 for Windows, we've experienced a surge of support requests. We're working hard to get back to our usual quick response times, but in the meantime, we appreciate your patience. Someone will be with you shortly. Please don't ask the same question/issue across multiple channels of communication, because when we have to stop and search/coordinate multiple conversations amongst multiple people here to make sure you don't get conflicting information, it slows down support times for everyone, including you. Let's keep your question going privately via email, if you don't mind. Thanks! :)

• Lgellman
    Lgellman
    Community Member

I only use 1password on my mac and no one else in my family uses it. Since I have the stand alone license, do you suggest I stick with that? If I pay the $49.99 does that include all the future upgrades? Otherwise am I right that if I switch to the subscription, it's $2.99/month? The service is exactly the same but the main difference is if I were to use it on more than one device? Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018

@Lgellman

Since I have the stand alone license, do you suggest I stick with that?

To be clear, licenses for previous versions of 1Password for Mac will not work to license 1Password 7 for Mac; it is a new purchase for all users (unless you paid for version 6 on or after March 27 of this year).

If I pay the $49.99 does that include all the future upgrades?

A license to 1Password 7 for Mac includes all future in-version updates, like from 7.0.4 to 7.1 or 7.2. It will NOT include 1Password 8 or future versions when they are released. That's the difference between update and upgrade. A full-version upgrade (like from 6.0 to 7.0) typically requires a new purchase to use the new version.

Otherwise am I right that if I switch to the subscription, it's $2.99/month?

For an individual user, yes, if you pay annually instead of month-by-month. It works out to $35.88/yr.

The service is exactly the same but the main difference is if I were to use it on more than one device?

The same as what? A standalone license? No. The 1Password 7 for Mac app is the same, but there are many additional features of a 1password.com membership, that go far beyond simply using 1Password on more than one device. 1password.com memberships DO include all future upgrades, for as long as you maintain the membership. There's nothing further to purchase with a membership. Either way is fine, however -- you'll still get 1Password 7, whether you choose a 1password.com membership or a standalone license. :)

ref: ULH-38358-458, UTB-74938-138

This discussion has been closed.