1password 7 is awful

m4rkw
m4rkw
Community Member

I upgraded today and really don't like v7, the UI is dreadful. It seems like the entire purpose of the update was a new awful UI and not much else.

I've downgraded to v6 now, hopefully it'll keep working for a while longer. Not bothered about a refund as I love 1P and am happy to support its developers but really, what were they thinking with that UI. And the credential box opening in the middle of the screen is annoying too - and no way to set it back to the old behaviour.

Two feature requests:

1) A "v6" skin so it looks how it used to which imo is much better.

2) An option to have the credential box appear near the mini icon where it used to be.

Thanks

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• m4rkw
    m4rkw
    Community Member

Actually forget those, here's a better feature request: just continue to support v6. You can keep my money if you do that.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

An option to have the credential box appear near the mini icon where it used to be.

You can drag 1Password mini to the location you want on the screen and it will remember that location next time it's opened. It's much easier to drag it when it's locked than when it's unlocked (when you have to fiddle around trying to find the location that can be dragged).

Stephen

• m4rkw
    m4rkw
    Community Member

Thanks.

The new UI is noticeably slower than v6 too.

• drewhammond
    drewhammond
    Community Member

Agreed 100%. 1password 7 is so, so terrible. I'm downgrading as well.

The floating box idea might work well if you always open browser windows in the same size/location, but that's just not how I (and I assume most people) use applications on a Mac. I'd sacrifice performance for the usability of 1password 6 any day.

UI aside, I've found myself having to open up the application to manually copy passwords that previously showed up and autofilled from the mini window

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@m4rkw - thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us on 1Password 7 for Mac. With any new version that contains significant changes from past versions - and with a customer base that's of any size at all - there are going to be people who like the changes, people who don't, and still more who think it's a mixed bag. Just like we have with past full-version releases, we plan to iterate on the feedback we receive, to continue making 1Password as good as it can be.

If you paid for a new license for 1Password 7 for Mac, you certainly can receive a refund; we don't want to keep people's money for things if they're not happy with them. Get in touch with our sales team at sales@1password.com and we'll see what we can do.

@Stephen_C's suggestion about moving the 1Password mini box up to the location you want it (to mimic the old behavior) will certainly work - and to @drewhammond's suggestion that this won't work if you move your browser window around to different screen locations, doesn't that mean you're moving windows around either way?

Drew, I'm sorry for the trouble -- you certainly shouldn't be having to copy/paste your credentials into login forms that previously worked in 1Password. However, without a little more information regarding specific versions of 1Password, your browser, macOS and what steps you're taking, it's hard to say why things might not be working the way you expect. Can you elaborate a bit? Thanks.

• m4rkw
    m4rkw
    Community Member

@lars I could live with the UI if it wasn’t noticeably laggy compared to v6. It makes looking up passwords using the browser hotkey feel quite clunky. I’ll stick with v6 until at least this is addressed.

• @m4rkw,

Hmm. I haven’t noticed that, and I’m using a 2011 11” MacBook Air, so it isn’t exactly the most powerful of machines. Are there specific functions that seem slower, or does it affect the application as a whole?

Ben

• m4rkw
    m4rkw
    Community Member

@ben it’s when hitting the browser hotkey, the popup takes about half a second to appear whereas with v6 it was instant. also browsing through it for passwords feel slower with v7 too.

• Jacob
    edited June 2018

It is a little slower, indeed. We're still making improvements though. :)

ref: TXE-81341-532

This discussion has been closed.