New UI for viewing attachments doesn't make it easy to go back

chabig
chabig
Community Member

Before version 7, when I double-clicked on an attachment to view it, it opened in Preview. In version 7, when I double-click to view an attachment, it opens in place. Once it's opened, there doesn't appear to be an easy way to go back to the item--no back arrow or UI control that I can find. How do we go back easily?

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: macOS 10.13.5
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Hey @chabig! Clicking an attachment in 1Password 7 should open it with Quick Look. You can click Open in Preview in the top right corner of the Quick Look window, or you can click the down arrow beside the item and choose Open instead to open it directly in Preview. You should also be able to double-click it just like you always have – I just tried and it works properly.

If you can't, you may be using a 1Password account now which has Documents that are linked to items, instead of attachments. To open those, click the file title then click it again to download and view it.

• chabig
    chabig
    Community Member

Hi Jacob. That's not how it's working for me. Suppose I have a Secure Note with attachments. When I click on an attachment, it takes me off the Note, opens the attached file in place, and switches the Sidebar to Documents. Now I can't easily get back to the Secure Note. There isn't a down arrow next to any of the attached items. I would show you over FaceTime or screen sharing.

What do you mean about documents being linked instead of attached?

• Kepi
    Kepi
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

As @Jacob mentioned, the difference comes from standalone 1Password vaults attaching files directly to the item itself (in this case, the Secure Note). So when you double-clicked it, you were literally opening the file.

With 1Password memberships, files are added to your vault as Document items which you then link to the Secure Note (versus attaching directly). So when you click on the linked Document on your Secure Note, it switches to the Documents section and shows you that item as if you had selected it in the item list.

And you're right, there is no "back" functionality in order to quickly return to the original Secure Note (unless you link the file back the other way; so the Document is linked to the Secure Note and the Secure Note is linked to the Document). I do wish this was automatic in some way such that a given item would show things that link to it.

• Hi @chabig @Kepi,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. I understand exactly what you mean. We're looking into this issue and the best way to solve it. I can't promise anything right away, but we are looking into it.

Cheers,
    Kevin

ref: apple-1646

• chabig
    chabig
    Community Member

Thanks Kepi for better explaining it. I understand the difference now that I upgraded to a membership. And thanks Kevin for looking into it.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@chabig - you're quite welcome. I can't guarantee we'll arrive at any specific outcome, but we are always looking for ways to improve the 1Password experience.

• chabig
    chabig
    Community Member

It seems to me that a simple back button would suffice, like in a browser. And if chosen, put up a forward button as well so users can (re)trace their steps. It is very browser like, in that sense.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@chabig - thanks for the suggestion. :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.