Limit 1Password X to specific vault(s)?

I have an archive vault in which I store old credentials, and there's a vault that my wife uses. I've noticed that 1P X always presents ALL of the entries that match the domain (and subdomains) from all 3 vaults. 1P itself can be limited to searching the Personal vault, but if 1P X can do that, I haven't found the magic that enables this. Possible?

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: 1.73 (X)
OS Version: 10.14.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @camner! 1Password X will include all of your vaults in the All Vaults view by default. You can choose to exclude specific vaults if you'd rather their their items not show up in All Vaults. Here's how to do that:

1. Open 1Password X from your browser's toolbar.
    2. Click on the vault icon in the top left corner.
    3. Click on the gear icon in the top right corner.
    4. Toggle the switch "off" to exclude that vault from All Vaults.

Let me know if that works for you. 🙂

• camner
    camner
    Community Member

Yup! This works perfectly! Thanks.

• Woot! I'm happy you're happy. 🙂

I'm curious how we could make this more discoverable as many users haven't been able to find this feature when they needed it. When you first needed this feature, where did you look first? 🤔

• camner
    camner
    Community Member

So, I think the thought process went something like this...

• I’m trying to log in to my American Airlines frequent flier account to check something, so my mind is on what I’m I trying to do on the AA site, not on “How do I make 1P X do what I want?”
    • I see 1P X presenting me with about 5 logins for American Airlines, labeled in various ways, including some that seem duplicative.
    • I also see that 1P X has only filled in 2 of the 3 fields on the AA.com website. I wonder whether this is a 1P X glitch or if AA.com has changed the login process. I check that in 1P X and see that AA.com has changed its login process. I now think “OK, now once I figure out which login is correct, I have to update 1P so it fills in all 3 fields.”
    • The one I think of as most likely doesn’t work (invalid credentials, not a 1P issue). I try a second one. That doesn’t work either. I’m beginning to wonder if by the time I get 1P X to let me in, I’ll remember why I was going to the AA.com site in the first place.
    • I say to myself, “This is taking too much time. I have to cut down on the number of 1P entries I’m seeing. I know some of them are from my Archive vault, and others from my wife’s vault. maybe I can get 1P to give me only the entries from my Personal vault.”
    • I know that clicking on the vault icon in the upper left corner allows me to choose which vault(s) to search, because I’ve seen this before. I figure that if there’s a way to configure what gets shown in All Vaults view, it should be here. So I click the upper left vault icon.
    • I quickly scan the next screen. I see nothing helpful. To be honest, I don’t even notice the gear in the upper right hand corner. Probably this is partly because I’m getting impatient, and partly because for reasons I can’t begin to fathom, the trend in UI right now is to have an extremely low contrast look. The gear is a very faint grey on a bright white background, and even after reading DaltonD’s post, I didn’t see the gear right away when I went back to change the settings.
    • I give up and decide to post a question in the forum.

I think the best fix here is to have something on the SECOND screen (after clicking in 1P X on the upper left vault icon), rather than requiring yet another click (on the gear). In terms of flow, just clicking on the upper left vault icon is putting me in where I think I get to choose vaults. I know this would make the window bigger (or require a scroll bar).

I wrote the whole story because I think that 1P is, by its very nature, something one invokes in order to get something else done, not something one opens up because the desired task uses 1P as its primary vehicle (unless one is deliberately doing credentials management, but for that I’d go into 1P 7, not 1P X). So, one typically doesn’t want to spend a lot of time mucking around in 1P to figure out how to make it do something, because one is working on another task at the time. That means one isn’t concentrating as much on 1P, because there is another task that is in the forefront (in my case, getting into to my AA.com account).

Hope this helps!

• Thank you very much, @camner. This is very helpful. I'll discuss your most excellent story with @danvpeterson and see what we can do. I know Dan has been very much looking forward to redesigning the vault selector window for a while now, so this is well timed. 🙂

Thanks again! 👋

• spaceshipdev
    spaceshipdev
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

Yes, I hit this road block today and I personally think it should be under the settings cog.
    Clicking the 1password icon is not obvious at all, and even if you made it pop out more button'y it still makes no sense when there is already a cog button with a settings option.
    This should be under settings imho, it's where I went first.
    EDIT: After looking at the menu behind the 1password vault icon; that could make so much more sense too. I figured it out but I could see this being a challenge.
    Anyway, my issue is sorted, archived vault now off, yay.

• spaceshipdev
    spaceshipdev
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

Just an add on here. I noticed that after unchecking my archive vault (so as not to appear in future suggestions); said 'disabled' archived vault still appears as a place to 'update' an entry if changed (new password)

It makes sense that it would only appear if the entry was part of a enabled vault but not a disabled unchecked one.

• camner
    camner
    Community Member

I definitely agree with @spaceshipdev about his 2nd post’s point. If a vault has been disabled, 1P should not ask if one wishes to update it. That said, there may be those who WOULD like to see disabled vaults be “eligible for updating.” In that case, although this “complexities” the UI, one could have two switches, one that disables a vault for searching, and one that disables a vault for updating.

• spaceshipdev
    spaceshipdev
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

Thanks @camner Zooming out from 1Password X here and focusing across the 1password suite; perhaps there's even room for a buit-in 'archive' vault. I'm sure we are not the only ones that have entities that we may not want in our main vault any longer but still want to keep them around so to speak (old twitter accounts, old clients email systems, server logins).
    I've been using trash as that storage place pre 'vaults' and the point of this would be that the 'archive' vault is not updated when a password changes nor are the contents used as suggestions for logins by default. This would definitely makes things simpler from a ui aspect. The whole point of an archive of course is for storage and not dipping in and out on a regular basis. You can still specify a search in the archive vault if you want to peruse old accounts from the past as opposed to NOT being able to search the trash folder (which I also feel is odd, I wrote a big beef about this with Evernote and some of the engineers agree search in trash is actually important should you want to find something you accidentally deleted. )
    Perhaps we should have access to Confluence / Jira and we can log this in as an agile story, get it on the next sprint :-p

• Hey I know you! Thanks for stopping by, @spaceshipdev! 👋

In many ways I agree with you about Settings feeling like the natural place for this, but I believe I've been trained to think that way simply because that's what we've done on Mac and Windows up until now. We're exploring possibilities in 1Password X and part of that is reimagining how things would be if we started from scratch and didn't have the "curse of knowledge" that we've accumulated over the last decade. When viewed through that lense, the vault selector seems like the more logical place for configuring All Vaults. The trick is to get people to try clicking there and discovering that. We'll keep iterating here.

As for an archive vault, I feel we have too many of these already to be honest. We have Trash, then we have Empty Trash, and then we have Item History that allows you to restore deleted items. Adding an archive to the mix would make my head spin I think. 🙂

++dave;

• spaceshipdev
    spaceshipdev
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

Heya Dave! 👋 so could we perhaps get a search for trash?
    I know it sound's hilarious, mental images of me sifting through my trash for a certain master password ahem, but kinda makes some sense. I made comments on Reddit about Evernote needing this exact feature too. Sometime we delete something by accident and then need to find it, or perhaps may have forgotten we deleted something, and a keyword search in trash would help.

I understand your point about changing the mould / train of thought for vault selection staying under the key icon, makes a lot of sense. Maybe an iteration then could be to make it look like something you could interact with.
    I know theres a little blue arrow pointing down (suggesting a menu) but it's only there now because it's been pointed out and it's sincerely not buttony enough. Getting back from this menu btw is not so obvious either other than pressing escape which completely exists 1passwordX. Suggest making it look more clicky, toggle'y, IN, OUT kind push button switchy ? Is your head spinning yet? 😜

Just for fun, here's my two peneth on evernote trash: -
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Evernote/comments/86trgw/evernote_used_to_be_so_good_in_2008/dwamc00/?context=3

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@spaceshipdev: Well, it's less hilarious while sifting through trash. But I guess we've all been there. :lol: While I tend to agree with Dave's point (I think) about this potentially becoming layers upon layers for users to try to navigate, perhaps there's something we can do in the future to make item history more accessible without making things more confusing. Thanks for the feedback! :)

• camner
    camner
    Community Member

I tend to agree with those that feel that archiving (even the lighter version "I don't think I'll ever need this again, but just in case, I'll just leave it in the Trash and not empty the Trash) is not a good use of Trash. Trash should be for things you are quite willing to let go of (hence the name "Trash"!). That's why having the ability to set up multiple vaults, one of which might be used for archival purposes, is great.

I'm not sure there is much more functionality to a "built in" archive vault than can be accomplished by setting up one of my own, but perhaps I'm limited by a poor imagination in this regard.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@camner: Well, full disclosure: I do all of the above: I use (and abuse) the Trash extensively and also have an archive vault. So my perspective is more along the lines of, "I don't need even more facilities to enable my bizarre behaviour"...but that's just me. So my thought is more that people can do this kind of thing anyway without 1Password making it official. :lol:

• camner
    camner
    Community Member

Well, full disclosure on MY part: I, too, use the Trash AND an archive vault, but I don’t think I (or you either, ;) ) SHOULD be using the Trash the way I do, so I don’t think developers should build the assumption of that kind of Trash use into their plans.

• Creating your own vault just for archives and using Trash for items that you will never need again seems like a decent approach. It's also reinforced by the fact that you can't search Trash.

• spaceshipdev
    spaceshipdev
    Community Member

...which (much like Evernote) begs the question, why have a trashcan capable of holding thousands of entries at all then? Insta-delete, swish gone!
    A trash can with this many entries and no search is a complete and utter waste of engineering effort. Totally useless.

Now, if you could restore from trash and said restored items all got tagged 'restored' it might be useful but PLEASE don't implement this as it's clearly going backwards.

Instead perhaps just take a page out of  Core OS's book and just implement a trash search option and have done with this.

• camner
    camner
    Community Member

I think electronic trash works like this because that’s the way trash works in the kitchen. I throw something away and I can retrieve it until I empty the trash can into the barrel by the garage

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

...which (much like Evernote) begs the question, why have a trashcan capable of holding thousands of entries at all then? Insta-delete, swish gone!

@spaceshipdev: Tch. I'll tell you why! Been there done that. :lol: Once upon a time, that was the only safety net 1Password users had. With 1Password.com memberships that's perhaps no longer necessary, but not everyone is using that. This way it at least works like the OS: you delete something, it goes in the Trash until it's emptied. If we all had effectively-unlimited storage and versioned backups none of this would be necessary, but we're not living in that world yet. :sweat:

A trash can with this many entries and no search is a complete and utter waste of engineering effort. Totally useless.

Not really at all. Keeping Trash doesn't require engineering effort, and I've definitely grabbed stuff out of there on occasion. It's easiest in the desktop apps since they allow sorting (e.g. date modified, type, etc.), but I've also done so in the web interface in a pinch. I'm glad it's there. :)

Now, if you could restore from trash and said restored items all got tagged 'restored' it might be useful but PLEASE don't implement this as it's clearly going backwards.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Instead perhaps just take a page out of  Core OS's book and just implement a trash search option and have done with this.

Easier said than done, but it's something we can consider. In the mean time, even without search, people can recover things from the Trash if needed. I don't think it's worth tossing the whole thing just because of that. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I think electronic trash works like this because that’s the way trash works in the kitchen. I throw something away and I can retrieve it until I empty the trash can into the barrel by the garage

@camner: I agree. But I think the larger point is that digital Trash can be more convenient (what a weird thing to say about trash!) than real-world trash. It's already 100% less smelly, but still room for improvement. :)

This discussion has been closed.