Syncing problems

Parrothedd
Parrothedd
Community Member

I am running 1Password 7.0.4 on my Mac Mini running OS 10.13.3.

For some reason I cannot get to the screen for syncing. On my laptop I just go to 1Password/preferences, and it is up at the top of the screen with a yellow icon. I can select how to sync, like via I cloud. What is up with this? How Can I get there?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Syncing problems

Comments

• Hi @Parrothedd! Just to clarify, do you not see the Sync tab in 1Password's preferences like this?

If you don't, sorry for the confusion there. I see you have a 1Password account. There's no need to sync things with that. All you have to do to get your passwords on other devices is sign in to your account. You can even do it from 1Password.com on a device that doesn’t have the 1Password app installed. :)

• Parrothedd
    Parrothedd
    Community Member

I am not seeing the yellow Sync button on one computer., a Mac Mini. Thats the problem. I enter a new secure note in one of my other computers and it never gets synced with the Mac Mini. I have reinstalled the program and that did not help. What should I do?

• Parrothedd
    Parrothedd
    Community Member

The tabs on the 1 Password on my Mac Mini are General-Security-Accounts-Watchtower-Vaults-Browsers-Updates.

On my other computers running 1 Password under Preferences I see General-Security-Accounts-Watchtower-Vaults-Browsers-Sync-WLAN Server-Backup-Updates.

What am I doing wrong here????

• @parrothedd,

It sounds to me like you've signed into an account on the accounts tab, which takes care of sync for you. In that configuration iCloud/Dropbox/WLAN-Sync aren't configurable because you don't have any standalone vaults as all your vaults are part of a 1Password.com account.

Rudy

• Parrothedd
    Parrothedd
    Community Member

Ok Rudy, Please tell me what I can do about that. 1Password is doing me no good if it doesn't sync with my 1Password.com account. Right?

Glenn

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Parrothedd -- there are two ways to use 1Password. The first is a standalone app, where you create your 1Password data locally on your own computer and you choose your advanced sync method (iCloud, Dropbox, WLAN). The second way to use 1Password is via a 1password.com membership, where your data is stored on our servers (as well as on your device) and 1password.com takes care of all the syncing and backups for you.

If you cannot see the Sync button in one instance of 1Password, that means you created an account at some point, and your data on that device are being synced via 1password.com. On your other device, your data are in standalone vaults. You can verify this on each computer by opening the Vaults tab in Preferences and seeing where things are. On the device where you can see the sync tab, your vault should be called Primary. This is a local, standalone vault. On your other computer, in the Vaults tab of Preferences, you'll see your account, and indented, underneath that, you'll see a vault called either Personal or Private. That means it's a 1password.com account vault.

You'll need to decide whether you want to keep your standalone setup (and choose/maintain your sync manually) or keep your 1password.com account and have syncing and backups be handled automatically (plus a whole lot more). Let us know which is the case, and we can help get one of your devices switched over.

• Parrothedd
    Parrothedd
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

Hello Lars. I have evidently created a 1password membership on one computer, and am using the stand alone app on the other two computers and my Iphones and Ipads. This is driving me nuts because I cannot sync all three computers. How do I get the same format on all my computers and devices? Thanks. Glenn [telephone number removed by 1Password -- this is a public forum]

• Parrothedd
    Parrothedd
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

Hello Lars. I have evidently created a 1password membership on one computer, and am using the stand alone app on the other two computers and my Iphones and Ipads. This is driving me nuts because I cannot sync all three computers. How do I get the same format on all my computers and devices? Thanks. Glenn [telephone number removed by 1Password -- this is a public forum]

• Parrothedd
    Parrothedd
    Community Member

Hello, I am able to sync messages entered into my Mac Mini over to my Macbook Air. But if I enter something on my Macbook Air it does not sync to my Mac Mini. This is driving me crazy., Is there a way I can pay for a phone support and talk to a live person....Please?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Parrothedd - I'm sorry for editing your posts, but this is a public forum, and I'm pretty sure you don't want random strangers five years from now being able to access your personal telephone number. I'm also sorry to have to tell you that telephone support is not available for 1Password -- but I'm happy to continue helping you right here, if that's OK.

It sounds as if you have a lot of devices! The best way to keep them in sync will definitely be with a 1password.com account, because the sync happens automatically -- no messing around with setting up, managing or troubleshooting advanced, 3rd party sync solutions and APIs. So let's get everything on the same page. To get a better idea of where things stand, I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices.

—Mac—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

—iOS—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?ios

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics emails before sending them:

[#QGK-61256-946]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @Parrothedd only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: QGK-61256-946

• Parrothedd
    Parrothedd
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

Hello Lars. I have evidently created a 1password membership on one computer, and am using the stand alone app on the other two computers and my Iphones and Ipads. This is driving me nuts because I cannot sync all three computers. How do I get the same format on all my computers and devices? Thanks. Glenn.

• Parrothedd
    Parrothedd
    Community Member

Hello Again Lars,

I have e-mailed in the following diagnostic reports:
    1. #KNQ-31925-893 (MAC MINI)
    2. #RWQ-34219-739 (MACBOOK AIR)
    3. #LGQ-68359-694 (I-MAC)
    4. #CH-74267-314 (I-PHONE RED)
    5. #SVI-68158-346 (I-PHONE BLACK)
    6. #MPV-42933-632 (IPAD SMALL)

I will anxiously await further advice how to get all these devices talking to each other without drama.

Thank you,

Glenn

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Parrothedd: Oh. Wow. That's a lot. Thanks for letting us know, or we might not have found them since you didn't use the Support ID Lars gave you! :scream: We'll take a look and get back to you as soon as we can. Please don't get too anxious though, as that's going to be a lot of diagnostics to go through. :dizzy:

ref: MHF-69673-526

• Parrothedd
    Parrothedd
    Community Member

Hello Brenty. The confusing thing is data I enter on 1Password on the Mac Mini is successfully transferred to all other devices. However, Data entered on any of the other devices DOES NOT show up on 1Password on the Mac Mini.

• Parrothedd
    Parrothedd
    Community Member

Also, On the Mac Mini Preferences, The Sync button is missing. On the other two computers, (IMac & Macbook Air) the sync button DOES show up under Preferences, and I have been using I Cloud to sync those two computers.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Parrothedd - looks like my colleague Steve got you all squared away, glad to hear it! :)

This discussion has been closed.