1password 7 update questions

telUK
telUK
Community Member

Hi

I pay for a yearly subscription, I currently have 1p 6.8.9 on my mac and whatever the latest versions are on my android and iOS devices.
Will these all work together ok still when I update to 1p7 on my mac?

Also my 1p app on mac used to get updates from the mac app store so I presume I have the mac app store version, how do I go about updating to 1p7 and stick with the mac app store version as I like to keep all my updates in one place?

And finally how comes I never got any notification from agilebits that 1p7 was released via email or something, I don't frequent these forums that often so was not aware that 1p7 was even released, maybe I need to change something in my 1p account email settings to receive updates?

Thanks very much

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• telUK
    telUK
    Community Member

Back again, I have decided to switch to website version which I have done.

I followed the switching from mac app store to website version instructions on your website, one issue is it says to remove the old 1password app store from applications folder, when I looked in there all I could see is 1password7 (which I had just installed from website)
    and a 1password zip file which I had no clue what that was, so just moved that to trash.
    I could not find my old mac app store 1p app installed anywhere??

Also when I logged into 1p7 for the first time it only required my master password, I would of thought it would of needed all the extra security key or was this not needed because my mac and browser is already authorised as a trusted device on my 1p account?

Sorry for all the questions.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@telUK - let me try to take your questions/issues from the top, since you've already updated your post:

Will these all work together ok still when I update to 1p7 on my mac?

Yes

...how do I go about updating to 1p7 and stick with the mac app store version as I like to keep all my updates in one place?

Due to the difficulty of making a paid upgrade in the Mac App Store, we had to release an entirely new version of 1Password (it's called 1Password 7 now, in the Mac App Store). However, if you've got a 1password.com account, this upgrade is included with your membership. You should be able to download and install it without problems.

...how comes I never got any notification from agilebits that 1p7 was released via email or something

If you purchased from the Mac App Store, we don't even know who you are. Of course we know who you are if you have a 1password.com account, but we don't inform customers of upgrades like this via email because we can't reach all our customers (App Store ones are the best but not only example).

one issue is it says to remove the old 1password app store from applications folder, when I looked in there all I could see is 1password7 (which I had just installed from website) and a 1password zip file which I had no clue what that was, so just moved that to trash.

You did it right. The zip file was your previous 1Password for Mac application from the Mac App Store. The installer zips it instead of deleting it, because we don't want to delete any applications from your Mac. You should now have only the 1Password 7 for Mac app from our website -- but you can check by clicking 1Password 7 > About -- this will show you not only the version number, but from where you installed it as well.

I would of thought it would of needed all the extra security key or was this not needed because my mac and browser is already authorised as a trusted device on my 1p account?

It wasn't needed because the Mac App Store version of 1Password 7 and our version store their data in the same place. So unless you actually deleted your data folder, installing our version means when you launched it, you'd already gone through the "extra stuff" previously, in the Mac App Store version.

Hope that helps!

• telUK
    telUK
    Community Member

Hi @Lars

Thanks for the help, I have had 1p7 for a few days now and its all good!

I did decide to install the website version of 1p7 instead, just a question regarding updates now, will any update install automatically or will I get a notification in the app, or is it a case of just clicking on check for updates every so often?

Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@telUK - glad to hear everything's working smoothly for you! Regarding updates, it depends a bit on the settings you choose within 1Password Preferences > Updates:

If you don't check Automatically check for updates, you'll have to remember to make the occasional check manually on your own. If you do check that box, you can also optionally check Automatically install updates as well. And lastly, checking Include beta builds allows you to receive the very latest public build of 1Password for Mac -- though it may not be quite as stable sometimes. Hope this helps! :)

• telUK
    telUK
    Community Member

Cool, thanks for that.

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018

We are happy to help @telUK. Thank you for being a loyal customer :smile:. Have a great day!

Just so you know, you can stay updated with the latest 1Password news by subscribing to our 1Password Newsletter here: https://blog.agilebits.com/. You will see a link to subscribe on the right hand side as you scroll down.

This discussion has been closed.