To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Warning dialog when moving to another vault

Options
Lance Lawton
Lance Lawton
Community Member

I select an item, go to Item menu > move to vault.
I get this message:
Item References Found
One of the items you are moving has a reference to another item. This item reference will be lost in the move.

Can someone explain what this means? Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

If you had arrachments in previous standalone versions, those were converted to independent documents and stored in the Documents category when you moved over to a membership subscription and started using AgileBits sync solution. The records that used to contain the attachments now have a reference to the appropriate document. If you want to open the referenced document, it will then be downloaded and shown. When you move a record from one vault to another, those references break and would need to be reestablished after the move.

This would apply to either version 6 or 7 running under a membership. Freestanding licensed versions still use attachments.

If this doesn’t apply to your case, let us know.

• Lance Lawton
    Lance Lawton
    Community Member
    Options

OK, thanks. This is a bit unfortunate, and tbh I'm annoyed. I think you guys are awesome, I love 1PW, and have never complained before. But I now probably have a ton of unreferenced documents, and reestablishing them could be rather laborious, and in some cases pure guesswork.

Can I suggest as a feature improvement that this needs to be made much clearer within the app when one is moving items between vaults. The word 'reference' used in that way means zip to us non geeks, so the message per my OP is meaningless. Could that message please be rendered in plain English.

Or even better (if possible) - could not that aspect of the app's functionality be tweaked so the references can't be broken so easily?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Lance Lawton: Unless you've already been ignoring that message and broken item references, it will be fine. And, either way, you'll still have those Documents, so you're not losing any data. It just isn't currently possible to keep items connected when moving between vaults since they get new UUIDs and must be re-encrypted.

Honestly, while your request is a good one, I'm not sure there's a "plain English" way to talk about something as abstract as item references. It's a fairly new concept, so we'd probably just be making up terminology anyway. But if you have suggestions we're listening. :)

There are a number of things we'll be doing in the future that will help with the Documents/related items workflow. I'm sorry that you've had some frustration with this feature, but it's long been a request from many of our customers to remove file size restrictions, avoid the need to create another item when just trying to save a file securely, and prevent having to download all of that each time a new device is setup. Those are good things, but we know that it isn't perfect now either, so we'll continue to improve it thanks to feedback like yours.

• Lance Lawton
    Lance Lawton
    Community Member
    Options

Fair enough. Thanks Brenton. Suggestion on "plain English": maybe something like "One or more of these items has a linked document. Moving the item/s to another vault could sever the link/s."

Beyond that you're experts. Could it at least be possible for the operation of moving the item to automatically 'grab' the linked or attached documents so they go to the new vault too?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Fair enough. Thanks Brenton. Suggestion on "plain English": maybe something like "One or more of these items has a linked document. Moving the item/s to another vault could sever the link/s."

@Lance Lawton: Thank you! I think that's a perfectly reasonable suggestion. But if you didn't already know what a "linked document" was would this have helped you? That's the thing we're struggling with. :blush:

Beyond that you're experts. Could it at least be possible for the operation of moving the item to automatically 'grab' the linked or attached documents so they go to the new vault too?

It may be possible. But in addition to a number of technical challenges, it's also tough to know the right way to handle this for users. Do you just do this automatically? What if the user doesn't want that? Do we prompt them with a decision point for each item? I agree that we need to do better here. But a big part of why we don't have a different system in place is that there are so many questions involved, and the answers will differ between people and situations. We know it's important though, so we'll keep working on it. :)

• Lance Lawton
    Lance Lawton
    Community Member
    Options

understood, and quite fair and right too.

re the "linked document" point ... take two: maybe "includes or is linked to a document" ... ?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Haha indeed, it isn't easy, but fortunately we've got some really great folks here who are much better UI wordsmiths than I. Had I been tasked with this, the current phrasing would be much more confusing. Thanks for all your input! :chuffed:

• Lance Lawton
    Lance Lawton
    Community Member
    Options

No worries

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:chuffed: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.