I cannot find the Item>Move in the Mac application. How do I move things to a different vault?

ksgordon
ksgordon
Community Member

I have several items in a vault that I want to move to another vault. (actually, I want to merge the two). I thought I read that I need to select them, then pick Item>Move from the Item menu. But that does not show up. What should I do?

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I cannot find the Item>Move in the Mac application. How do I move things to a different vault?

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

@ksgordon -

Edit: I missed that you are running version 6.8.8. My screen capture is from 7.0.4. Forgive me if the menus aren't the same.

What do you see when you look in the 1Password Item menu? Aren't these two items there?

• dst87
    dst87
    Community Member

@hawkmoth's screenshot should help, but in case that isn't working for you I'll post another way of doing it.

Go to the item you want to move in the 1Password app and click 'Edit'.

Below the title of the entry you should see a little drop-down box you can click to move the item.

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@ksgordon Here's the screenshot you're looking for in 1Password 6.8.8. In one of the vaults, select all the Items, then got to the Menu: Item, and follow the flyout menus. Note: Arkhives is one of my vaults. hth

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

AgileBits folks: A feature Request
    This thread got me testing the Sharing vault scheme in 1Password 7.0.4. [Family Subscription/macOS 10.14 Beta.] What I was hoping for was a dynamic link between my Personal vault (the original Item) and the Sharing vault, so that changes made to the Personal vault would sync with the same Item in the Sharing vault.
    A use case: I change the PIN number of a bank card that I share with my spouse and It's updated automatically in Sharing vault so it's available to her without me having to mention it to her.
    Alternatively, even a push notification to the other Sharing vault users would be valuable.
    Thanks and have a great weekend.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

AgileBits folks: A feature Request
    This thread got me testing the Sharing vault scheme in 1Password 7.0.4. [Family Subscription/macOS 10.14 Beta.] What I was hoping for was a dynamic link between my Personal vault (the original Item) and the Sharing vault, so that changes made to the Personal vault would sync with the same Item in the Sharing vault.

That isn't possible. Each vault is encrypted with completely separate keys. Otherwise anyone with access to the Shared vault would also be able to decrypt the contents of your Personal vault.

A use case: I change the PIN number of a bank card that I share with my spouse and It's updated automatically in Sharing vault so it's available to her without me having to mention it to her. Alternatively, even a push notification to the other Sharing vault users would be valuable. Thanks and have a great weekend.

It's definitely a legitimate use case, and something that I think almost anyone could agree would be a welcome feature. But it isn't something we're going to do unless we can find a way to do it securely. And, frankly, that would probably involve creating a unique set of keys for a specific item, that would be used across vaults...but then we're just sort of talking about another vault anyway, and it's possible to set that up today. Thank you for sharing your interest in this kind of functionality though! It keeps us thinking about it. :)

• ksgordon
    ksgordon
    Community Member

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.