Lost all vaults but the primary vault after downgrade to 6

marceloomens
marceloomens
Community Member
edited June 2018 in Mac

When I saw that 1Password 7 had been released, I was keen to find out license upgrade pricing. Sadly that info is not on your website. Hence I download the installer – which was advertised to give me the info I'm after – only to find out that the installer first deletes 1Password 6 and then tells me to either subscribe or pay some 45 USD.

In other words, you locked me out of my password database and your now asking me to pay with a knife to my throat. Nice way to treat your long term fan base!

Instead I download the legacy 1Password 6 installer, overwrite 1Password 7, to find that in the process I seem to have lost all my vaults except the primary one.

Where did my data go? How do I get it back?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

There is a detailed explanation about how to revert to 1Password 6 in this AgileBits' post.

Stephen

• marceloomens
    marceloomens
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

Thanks @Stephen_C, that's exactly what I did. That process nonetheless locked me out of all my 1Password vault except for the primary one.

More info here:

• SoerenU
    SoerenU
    Community Member

That's a really strange experience just to find out the upgrade conditions, thanks for sharing. Saved me a lot of trouble.

• Hi @marceloomens ,

I'm sorry that you had a bad upgrade experience. I'll pass your feedback along to the rest of the team.

However, losing your vaults doesn't sound right. The installer for 1Password 7 does zip the old copy before deleting it, but it does not delete your 1Password 6 data. It copies it when upgrading the data, but does not ever remove it or alter it. We made a point of that so that customers could downgrade if they ran into trouble or didn't want to purchase a new license.

One thing to note that in 1Password 6, your data was stored in different locations depending on whether you used 1Password downloaded from the Mac App Store, or our website. If you used 1Password from the Mac App Store, then the instructions on that other thread would not have found your version 6 data.

If that sounds like what happened, then here's how to get back to 1Password 6:
    1. Quit 1Password by holding down the option, clicking the 1Password icon in the menubar, and choosing Quit 1Password.
    2. Trash all copies of 1Password in your Applications folder.
    3. Open the Mac App Store app and click on the Purchased tab.
    4. Look for 1Password in the list and download it again.

After that launch, and unlock, and your data should be there. If it still isn't there, please let us know right away, and we can diagnose it further.

Regards,
    Kevin

• marceloomens
    marceloomens
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

Thanks @ag_kevin, that seems to be the case. I first followed the instructions provided by Stephen above, with the aforementioned result. As your colleague has suggested on Twitter, removing the legacy version downloaded from your update server and unzipping the zip file in Applications restored access to all my vaults.

As a bonus, I'm now running a signed copy of the software. Version 6.8.9 downloaded from your update server wasn't signed with a developer certificate. Might you consider starting to post hashes of files on your update server or go the extra mile and sign them using PGP? For that reason alone I would stick to the App Store version of your software which, I guess, leaves you just ever so slightly out of pocket for every in app purchase made :chuffed:

Anyway, I'm now in a place where I can make a reasonable decision about when to upgrade and whether to upgrade to a licensed version of your software or a subscription. Thanks for the help.

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018

Glad to hear @marceloomens! I have edited the post Stephen linked to (a post of mine from the past) with Mac App Store downgrade instructions so that this scare does not happen to anyone else :smile:.

This discussion has been closed.