Ignoring Weak Passwords

Options
13»

Comments

• bestlem
    bestlem
    Community Member
    Options

It is that time of year - to do UK Income tax returns.

Unfortunately for 1password the UK government has a single sign in system and it allows nice complex passwords.
    But there is correctly no single sign in place. Each site/department has its own URL and they all use the same user id and password.

So I have multiple entries in Watchtower for reused password which are not. e.g. I have one for the central gateway - which you use to set it up, one for HMRC https://online.hmrc.gov.uk, one for www.tax-service.gov.uk (which is HMRC - goverment at its finest) another one for a central government site. Another for pensions servioce.

How do I stop Watchtower reporting this as a problem when it is not?

• bestlem
    bestlem
    Community Member
    edited January 2021
    Options

Another issue with watchtower is old logins.

The site is no longer there or I don't want to login, but I want to save the login details so that if there was a breach found later I know what is at risk. How do I manage these logins which have duplicate passwords.

I originally put them in a separate vault but watchtower always looks at all vaults. IU now trash them but never delete trash which is obviously a miususe of the setup.

And from this issue https://1password.community/discussion/118312/is-there-a-way-to-search-the-1password-trash#latest that is really not the way.

• jakobhviid
    jakobhviid
    Community Member
    edited January 2021
    Options

Hi bestlem

What you are describing is a separate issue, and not the topic of this thread, which is about weak passwords and watchtower.

However, your issue is Solved by creating one entry in 1Password and adding all the website urls to that one entry. That will allow it to work on all sites and not be reported as a duplicate. It will also allow you to only change the password in one place, instead of multiple separate entries, in case you change your password later.

Hope this helps.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bestlem:

I originally put them in a separate vault but watchtower always looks at all vaults.

Have you considered moving these items to a separate vault, and excluding this vault from All Vaults view under 1Password Preferences > Vaults > Show In All Vaults?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

However, your issue is Solved by creating one entry in 1Password and adding all the website urls to that one entry. That will allow it to work on all sites and not be reported as a duplicate. It will also allow you to only change the password in one place, instead of multiple separate entries, in case you change your password later.

Spot on @jakobhviid! This would have been my suggestion too :+1:

• davegarratt
    davegarratt
    Community Member
    Options

I would also like to be able to ignore this warning on an entry. I have printers which only permit a 4 digit numeric pin or in some cases I am allocated a password by a client and I cannot change it myself.

• @davegarratt

Noted! I'll pass on your feedback.

• davegarratt
    davegarratt
    Community Member
    Options

Maybe if you saved a mask to indicate the max size and format of the allowed password such as NNNN for 4 digit numeric then the algorithm which checks if the password is complex could account for it. 0000 would be flagged as bad but 1482 would be ok ?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We can keep this in mind @davegarratt, thank you for the suggestion!

• MHarr1
    MHarr1
    Community Member
    Options

Following up on this feature, has there been any movement?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the 1Password Support Community, @MHarr1! No, no movement since Saturday. ;)

• MHarr1
    MHarr1
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars Ah, good point! I didn't look at the date :|

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MHarr1 - no worries. :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.