Ram usage out of control

CamJN
CamJN
Community Member

Guys, this is pretty bad:

I have used a 1Password.com account for the last while, and recently decided to switch to the Canadian server(s). After creating the new account I was prompted by 1Password to add the account to the app, which is a nice touch. Unfortunately something in that workflow caused a massive amount of memory to be allocated, and locked up the system such that force quitting the app didn't work nor did sending a SIGKILL to the pid on the command line.

Further it exacerbates a problem in macOS high sierra where the swapfile can grow seemingly boundlessly and unrelated to the actual amount of swapped memory (it filled 245GB anyway, not sure how far it could have gone if I had more free space) and fill the whole disk, causing even more problems.

It'd be really great if this could be fixed.

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: 4.7.1.4
OS Version: 10.13.5
Sync Type: 1Password Account

Comments

• Hi @CamJN ,

Thanks for letting us know. We haven't seen anything like that here, but we'll look into the area surrounding adding of accounts to see something looks off. Memory usage might spike if you have a large number of vaults/items, but still, 10GB seems excessive. We'll check it out, anyway.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• CamJN
    CamJN
    Community Member

I don't have a very large number of vaults or items just about 500 items across 5 vaults.

• CamJN
    CamJN
    Community Member

1Password normally uses a very reasonable amount of memory (less than 200MB, usually closer to 100MB).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018

@CamJN - Hmmm...I think we should probably have you create a diagnostics report from your Mac, if you don't mind:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#TAN-18198-164]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @CamJN only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: TAN-18198-164, apple-1694

• CamJN
    CamJN
    Community Member

I should clarify that after my mac crashed and I booted it again 1Password has returned to using a normal amount of memory. Nonetheless I submitted a diagnostic report. (Though you guys really should pare back the amount of information you collect, or at least warn people that you don't just collect 1Password specific information).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@CamJN - thanks; we'll have a look at what's going on, but if this is a restart-fixable issue, it may turn out to be nothing that we can address. We'll take a look and reply to you anyway.

Regarding the diagnostics report, thanks for sending yours in. We do publish a disclaimer regarding it (basically, that we don't store the information and that it's used to assist in solving a specific problem), and anyone is also free to examine theirs before sending, as it appears you did -- it's not in a proprietary format. We don't post up a laundry list of what's collected, partly because you can see that for yourself if you like, but also because when we get to the point of needing a diagnostics report, that means by definition we're well into a thorny problem with someone's setup -- which is why we need to take a pretty broad look at what might be going on with their system

Nevertheless, we do indeed have a (very) tiny contingent of folks who won't even download the tool much less run a report to see what it generates before saying they'll "never" send us that kind of "invasive" information about their setups (even when it might mean the difference between us being able to solve their issue, and not being able to). Even working for a security company like I have for years now, it's always struck me as a bit odd; the notion that the same person who has put their trust in us enough to install a large, complex application onto their hard drive into which they willingly enter literally all their personal internet, financial and identity secrets, later gets worried about our trustworthiness when we ask for diagnostics?

• CamJN
    CamJN
    Community Member

I think that's a very simple thing to understand, actually; there is (presumably) some degree of code review on the 1Password and server codebases, but likely little supervision of diagnostic investigations. People tend to behave better when they feel they are being watched.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@CamJN - I suppose it's a matter of perspective. We'll have a look at your diagnostics report as quickly as possible.

This discussion has been closed.