installed version is read-only

hallygally
hallygally
Community Member
edited June 2018 in Mac

I have a license for version 6 but I can´t find a place where to put the license code into. So my version runs read-only.
I´m not having (and not interested to have) an abonnement, I have a standalone version.
Ok, now here comes the next trouble: I have bought my version (upgrade from V5) from the webstore but cannot find this version anywhere again so I downloaded it from the MAS - which does not function however.

Can anyone please tell me, what I can do? Thanks.

1Password Version:6.8.9
_Extension Version:
Not Provided
_OS Version:10.13.4
_Sync Type:Dropbox

Comments

• @hallygally,

1Password 6 is available from https://1Password.com/downloads under the "Using OS X El Capitan or earlier?" link, or https://app-updates.agilebits.com/download/OPM4 .

You'll want to delete the MAS version as that won't work with your license file, Apple doesn't allow external licensing for their downloads.

Rudy

• hallygally
    hallygally
    Community Member

It will remain an eternal mystery why version 6 is hidden under this small, inconspicuous link, especially since I am on the road with High Sierra and have not reacted to this link at all. Because of the many problems with 1P, I decided to entrust my passwords to another provider which is not only cheaper, but also provides the same features and above all is much more open to everything. I also find it absolutely unfair how 1P behaves and I simply don't like the policy of pushing us for subscriptions.

• @hallygally,

There isn't really any mystery or anything nefarious going on there. 1Password 6 is the last version to support El Capitan and we no longer sell licenses for it.

1Password 7 still has support for licenses via the in-app storefront.

Rudy

• hallygally
    hallygally
    Community Member

I´m an experienced user and working with computers on Win and Mac since 1995 but the model and pricing policy of 1P has become a desaster. Not only too many people do not know about a standalone version 7 it also seems that agilebits is not interested in selling them. You force us to the subscription contract. Well - you probably find enough users for it, so go with it. I´m off.

• ag_kevin
    edited June 2018

Hi hallygally ,

I'm sorry you feel that way. Note that we've never announced that we've stopped supporting licenses, and we are not forcing subscriptions on our customers. We do feel that new customers are better served by memberships so we do feature them prominently. It's not because we want to force them to subscribe. It's because we feel our customers will have a better experience with a membership. Memberships do not have upgrade fees for the client apps, and because of the accounts that can only be offered with a membership, we can provide more features, and faster and easier sync.

That said, we provide licenses to those that want them, and are happy to sell and support them.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• hallygally
    hallygally
    Community Member

You should better go into the real world @ag_kevin , there are not many people who are aware of your versions. Look to your ratings in MAS, look to your pricing which changed dramatically - I purchased version 4.2.5 in 2013 for €6,99!
    However, fine I found another service. That´s all, bye.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018

@hallygally - so let's do a little thought experiment here, and a little math.

I purchased version 4.2.5 in 2013 for €6,99!

Sounds like you got a great deal! The price of 1Password for Mac in October 2014 was $49.99USD, just as it had been for a while at that time for a single-user, single-platform license. My mind doesn't think in Euros, and I don't know what the specific exchange rate was then, but in today's rates, $49.99USD would be €43,01. So if you got 1Password 4 for Mac for €6,99, that would be amazing!

However, given the wide gap between €43,01 and €6,99, plus the fact that there never was a version 4.2.5 1Password for Mac, I'm guessing you're referring to having purchased 1Password for iOS (for which there definitely was a version 4.2.5). That would make the €6,99 you say you paid much more understandable, if it was for 1Password for iOS and not 1Password for Mac.

Also, since standalone licenses of 1Password have always been sold on a per-person and per-platform basis, no purchase of 1Password for iOS would have allowed you to license 1Password for Mac - could that have been part of the problem here? I do see a single license for 1Password for Mac purchased by you in October 2014, for $24.99 -- in other words, a 50% discount from the retail price. Sounds like you got a pretty good deal! :)

It's now June of 2018. Since the date of your purchase nearly four years ago, we've gone through the version 4 of 1Password for Mac you initially purchased, and you've received and upgraded to versions 5 and 6 completely free of additional charge. In other words, in just under four years, your initial 50% off price paid of $24.99USD works out to $6.66USD (or €5.73) per year, as your annual cost-to-own/use 1Password -- across two full-version upgrades.

I´m not having (and not interested to have) an abonnement...

That's what I understood from your first post in this thread, yes. And that's fine, since you're already aware that standalone licenses for 1Password 7 for Mac are available. We'd love to continue having you as a 1Password customer. But if paying anything more than the cost of two coffees per year to use 1Password is too much for you, then we're probably not going to be your password manager. We wish you luck with whatever solution you choose; as long as you're using something for password management, that's the important thing. Fare well! :)

This discussion has been closed.