MAC OS 10.13.6 beta issue

realtordon
realtordon
Community Member

After updating to the latest OS beta 1 password does not recognize my (unchanged)
Log in password on the Mac I’m only able to access my passwords on my iPhone X using facial recognition

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@realtordon - I'm sorry for the trouble! 1Password will never change your Master Password for you; it can't. What you're doing when you create a Master Password is creating a unique encryption key which uses the AES256 algorithm to transform your data from human-and-machine-readable data into gibberish that's unreadable by anyone or anything unless they run it BACK through the algorithm...and to do that, you need the same key to DEcrypt the data that you used to encrypt it. And that key is derived from your Master Password. In other words, it's a straight mathematical function, not an authentication system.

I have a hard time imagining a simple update to a new version of macOS (even a beta version) making your data unaccessible. You say you're able to sign in with Face ID on your iPhone X; what happens when you use Face ID on your phone is that a copy of your Master Password is stored in the Secure Enclave of your iPhone, so that when you go to unlock 1Password, it calls the system process of Face ID, which has access to the Secure Enclave because it's part of iOS. This retrieves your Master Password, derives the encryption key for 1Password with it, and unlocks (decrypts) your data. That means the same Master Password you've been using all along is still working just fine on your iPhone.

Can you tell us a bit more about any changes you've made, other than upgrading to macOS beta 10.13.6? Are you using 1Password as a standalone app, or with a 1password.com membership? Do you have any other desktop OSes that were previously syncing with your 1Password data, and if so, does the Master Password work there? The more detail you can give us, the better.

• realtordon
    realtordon
    Community Member

Thanks for your response, Lars. First, I've been using 1Password since 2011. I used it earlier in the day before upgrading the Mac OS to version 10.13.6 Beta build (17G47b). I made no other changes. later the same day when I put in my master Password it was not accepted. Here's a thought........... In December 2017 I upgraded to a 3 year 1Password membership offered to Apple employees (I'm an Apple retail employee)....... Checking the version of 1 Password now running on my iMac I see that it is version 6.8.9 Mac App Store.

It appears that after the OS update, 1Password reverted to the version (and likely different master password) I was running prior to upgrading to the 3 year 1 password.

If that's the case how do I go about ditching the old App Store Version and installing the upgraded version?

Thanks for your help.......
    Don

• smunson
    smunson
    Community Member

I'm having the same problem with the most recent beta -- my master password no longer works for unlocking my vault. I can still access my vault on iOS.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@realtordon - glad to help! However, I'd like to get a little closer look at exactly what's going on with your setup just now. To do that, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message from your @apple.com email address, addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/444141/#Comment_444141
    • Your forum username: @realtordon

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the diagnostics we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@smunson - did you at some point in the past create a 1password.com membership/account? And have you been using 1Password in standalone mode prior to now?

• realtordon
    realtordon
    Community Member

Yes to both questions

• smunson
    smunson
    Community Member

For me -- no to the first and yes to the second. After yesterday's update, though, things seem to have started working again.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@smunson - glad to hear it! Let us know if the problem recurs. :)

This discussion has been closed.