What is more secure - 1Pwd or Apple Notes?

claus
claus
Community Member
edited June 2018 in Mac

Hi, I think about to move all notes from Apple Notes to 1Pwd Secure Notes.
Something inside me says ... "Wait!" and wonder what is more secure. Is iCloud more or less secure than 1Pwd (sync via 1Pwd server).
I assume of course 1Pwd with their several "layers" of security makes it more safe.
Thanks
Claus

Comments

• claus
    claus
    Community Member

I mean, of course, Apple Note notes with protection (password/TouchID).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018

@claus - thanks for the question! To start with, we love Apple, not least because they take security quite seriously. iCloud Drive stores data encrypted, and Apple provides File Vault on Macs and passcodes with whole-disk encryption on iOS devices as well. It's pretty secure. That said, Apple is writing their OS for a full range of functionality, whereas we have the comparable luxury of designing just one application that is security focused throughout. We do not ever rely upon authentication to access data; 1Password is entirely encryption-based, and that's within the context of whatever other security your Apple device(s) are already offering. As a result, I'd suggest it's a good security move to transition your Notes data -- or at least the sensitive/private ones -- into Secure Notes in 1Password. That's what Secure Notes are FOR, after all. Not only will you have excellent security but because 1Password also works in Windows and Android devices, you'll have a greater chance of having access to your Notes, no matter what platform you're on. :)

• claus
    claus
    Community Member

Hi Lars, thank you for the detailed answer! I guess I will transfer my notes to 1Pwd!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@claus - you're quite welcome. Glad I could help clarify your decision. :)

This discussion has been closed.