1Password 7 feedback

Mirek Petricek
Mirek Petricek
Community Member
edited June 2018 in Mac

Once I upgraded to 7 I only have problems with my 1Password.

1. On one of my systems (Macbook Pro) the Safari doesn't fill forms no matter what I do. Clicking "Fill" button (or the star on stick icon) just doesn't do anything. I have to copy credentials manually through the clipboard which is super annoying. 1P6 worked perfectly fine before the upgrade. I don't mean auto submit which everybody complains about, it's the filling.

2. On my other system (iMac Pro desktop) I share 1Password installation with my wife who is a separate user on the same Mac (a setup we were forced into once you removed the feature of individual keychain unlocking which we happily used before). Everytime there is a minor version update it breaks her. 1Password extensions keeps disconnecting and 1password toolbar button doesn't do anything unless manually logging in/out, quitting the 1password or other random actions. I wonder what is the correct way of keeping 1password updated on a multi-user system.

3. Sometimes I see two "1 Password" buttons on my Safari toolbar. Usually, it happens whenever there is a 1Password/extension update. I have to manually remove it through "customize toolbar".

4. Right-clicking on 1Password mini (if that's still a thing) icon in the top menu doesn't work any more and the old context menu isn't displayed. Both left and right clicking always open the new "Spotlight" style window. Previously right-clicking it was a convenient way of locking, switching vaults, etc.

5. Talking about the 1Password mini. I must say I much prefer the old smaller version. What used to be a small context tool popping out of the top menu become a rather heavy and cumbersome UI. The old one offered easy (menu-like) mouse navigation that did not require clicking, It did not offer me irrelevant items (like my credit cards and identity card everywhere). The new one for whatever reason often suggests me to install 1Password extension in "Suggested items" instead of actual items (which I obviously do have installed). It is hard to move its window around the screen (as most of its window content isn't draggable), cannot be resized to the shape I want (due to its weird master/detail nature - a bad choice for something that should be a small context menu IMHO). etc.

Please bring the old mini back :)

1. And my favourite issue is that I found that many of my attached files which I keep in my 1password vault have zero size now. But to be frank I am not sure if this is 1P7 issue as I haven't checked these items for a while. I think I will have to dive into my old keychain backups to see when I lost them.

I am 1Password user since version 3 and never had so many issues with the app.

Any suggestions/workarounds?

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: latest (non-beta)
OS Version: always latest
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Mirek Petricek - I'm sorry for the difficulties you've been having since upgrading to 1Password 7 for Mac. Let's go through them one by one.

On one of my systems (Macbook Pro) the Safari doesn't fill forms no matter what I do. Clicking "Fill" button (or the star on stick icon) just doesn't do anything.

Where is 1Password located on this Mac? If it is in Applications, it should be fine. But if you've located it elsewhere, such as in ~/Applications, that's the reason. Also, what is your default browser on that Mac? If you've got a browser selector like Choosy or Browser Fairy set as the default, that will also be the reason things aren't working. The reason for this is that, for the first time ever, 1Password 7 for Mac is sandboxed even if you get it from our website. This means overall tighter security, but it also means you aren't free to run it from anywhere on your hard drive you like.

Everytime there is a minor version update it breaks her. 1Password extensions keeps disconnecting and 1password toolbar button doesn't do anything unless manually logging in/out, quitting the 1password or other random actions.

We did have a bug with Safari only on systems where Fast User Switching was in use; behavior like what you're describing would be apparent. However, this bug has been addressed in the beta builds. If you're willing to try a beta build of 1Password, make sure only ONE of you is signed into your iMac Pro, then in 1Password 7, go to Preferences > Updates and select "Include beta builds" and do another search for updates. You'll be prompted to download the latest beta, which should resolve this issue. Another way to resolve it would be to use a different browser than Safari -- no such issues are reported with either Chrome or Firefox.

Sometimes I see two "1 Password" buttons on my Safari toolbar. Usually, it happens whenever there is a 1Password/extension update. I have to manually remove it through "customize toolbar".

This makes me think very much that you've still got at least one other copy of 1Password installed on that Mac. Do a spotlight search on 1Password, and take note of any other applications besides the one that's supposed to be there (1Password 7 in /Applications). Delete any older copies you find by dragging them to your Mac's Trash, then emptying the Trash. If you don't find any other copies of 1Password on your Mac, then perhaps you have more than one 1Password extension installed? Open Safari's Preferences > Extensions and check what you see there.

Right-clicking on 1Password mini (if that's still a thing) icon in the top menu doesn't work any more and the old context menu isn't displayed. Both left and right clicking always open the new "Spotlight" style window. Previously right-clicking it was a convenient way of locking, switching vaults, etc.

You can Option-Click on the mini icon in your Mac's menubar to accomplish this now -- does that work for you?

The new mini was created due to user feedback that people wanted to be able to do more with the mini, instead of having to open the main app. Many people never even bother with the main 1Password app (unless they must), preferring to do all their work in the Mini. We aren't going to be bringing back the older style of mini, though we have been listening to various feedback from other users and will be working to incorporate as much of it into refinements of the mini in future updates.

I'm not sure what to make of your attachments issue, but I doubt that was a result of upgrading to 1Password 7 for Mac since no one else has reported this issue. If you created a 1password.com account, then your old-style attachments would have been converted to the newer Documents format, but if you've stayed with standalone vaults, then the attachments would not have changed as a result of the 1Password 7 upgrade. Let me know how you get on with the above. :)

This discussion has been closed.