Bought License for 7 on one machine. Trouble installing on another machine.

michael_b2b
michael_b2b
Community Member

I bought a license last night for 7. I installed it fine earlier on my laptop. When I downloaded and installed it on an iMac the purchasing window appeared again. There was no way to dismiss it without the app closing. The license was already stored in my vault. If the app would have started letting me use it in read-only like my laptop the experience would have been fine. Instead it kept shutting down completely if I closed the purchase window. Horrible user experience.

I'm hesitant to store my license only in the vault now because of it. I easily downloaded the license again and it opened and everything was fine. The problem is that in 2 years I may have deleted the email. I would recommend not shutting down the app completely when someone dismisses the purchasing window. This didn't happen on my laptop which runs Sierra. My iMac has High Sierra so maybe thats the issue. Either way I'm not a happy camper after spending money for a license and having to jump through hoops to install it.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @michael_b2b! I'm sorry for the difficulty. To be clear, 1Password handles standalone licensing a little differently than it used to. For one thing, entered license credentials for 1Password 7 for Mac will now be stored in iCloud keychain (as well as in 1Password itself). So, if you're using the same iCloud account on two different Macs, and you have iCloud keychain turned on in both, you should have it already available to you when you install on a second Mac.

However, if you're not using iCloud on one of the Macs, or you're using a different account or not using iCloud keychain, you’ll have to license 1Password manually. Here’s how:

• Once you download and install version 7 on your second Mac, your existing data will be automatically imported from version 6. After that, you’ll see the same Welcome screen with the “Subscribe today!” button you saw on your first Mac.
    • Click the “Need a license?” link at the bottom of that window, just as you did on your other Mac. Then on the second screen, click “buy license” again.
    • Enter your Master Password from 1Password 6 to unlock 1Password 7.
    • Once you’ve unlocked 1Password with your Master Password, this will open the same window to the FastSpring store you saw on your first Mac when you purchased.
    • Close the FastSpring window by clicking the red gem at the top left of the window since you already have a license for 1Password 7.
    • Open the original license email you received from FastSpring, which will have a copy of your license file.
    • Double click the license file to download the license into your Downloads folder.
    • Finally, double-click the license file in your Downloads folder to license 1Password 7.

I'm glad you were able to resolve the issue by re-downloading the license from FastSpring. You can/should also store a copy of your license details in 1Password itself, if that didn't happen already for you, then you won't be without it. The license file can be uploaded as an attachment to a Software License item, so it is always available.

This discussion has been closed.