Moving from AgileKeyChain to OPVault: 1PW 6 to 1PW 7 Migration Issues Solution

FiberNut
FiberNut
Community Member
edited June 2018 in Mac

Posting the below in case anyone else has issue with the program crashing during agilekeychain conversion when in syncing-to-Dropbox environment.

The running of 7 is supposed to acknowledge that that your current file in agilekeychain format is not in opvault format and offer to do 1-time conversion. It either does this conversion, and:

• writes that new opvault file up into the same location as where your agilekeychain file is currently living - in this case, your Dropbox 1Password folder--and also renames the old file to legacyagilekeychain after its done

or

• writes that new opvault file up into the same location as where your agilekeychain file is currently living- in this case, your Dropbox 1Password folder-- but-- the app crashes in midst of populating or completing the creation of that new file. The new file is left in empty state--has no data in it-- the operation still successfully renames the old file to legacyagilekeychain however. (And that file is fine, it doesn't get corrupted as part of the crash or anything).

I did a complete-start-over 2 more times-- same thing occurred each time. (In order for 7's conversion wizard to recognize the old file again, I did have to rename it back to agilekeychain (dropping legacy from it)

I wonder if the conversion of the agilekeychain file fails due to the file its trying to convert, sitting up in Dropbox...like somehow the program knows its a file that's "in-use" (due to Dropbox sync in the background constantly "looking" at it??), and possibly that is what causes the app to crash during conversion?? No idea.
(The test of that of course would be to copy that file from Dropbox down locally to the Mac, and then do complete Reset of 1Password 7, restart the Mac, and attempt the conversion again....I did not try this).

Below is what I ended up doing and it worked perfectly.

1. Open prior version 1Password 6. [If you already removed it, thats ok reinstall it, and point it to your agilekeychain file in Dropbox]
  2. Go to 1Password menu and do a File>Export> export to 1PIF file format. Choose to save it to your Mac somewhere- folder on Desktop or in Documents, for example
  3. Close 1Password. Make sure any 1Password 6 processes are quit (can do this via Activity Monitor) You can even uninstall 6 now, which I do recommend and which I did (drag the app to the Trash)
  4. Open 1Password 7
  5. Login to your new 1password.com account. (The default "Personal" vault will be empty.)
  6. Go to 1Password menu and do File>Import, navigate to the 1PIF file you created. It will import everything that used to be in that agilekeychain file.
  7. DELETE!! that 1PIF file now from your Mac where you saved it--- as it is cleartext format which anyone can read (all your secrets/personal stuff/passwords.)

At this point you are now "syncing" your 1Password data (encrypted of course) with the 1Password.com data storage itself (no need for Dropbox anymore). Now doing Setup of 1Password on addl devices (Android, iPhone, iPad, etc) once you sign in and enter your personal Key, will also be looking at that same new OPVault file up on 1Password.com

It really is a fanastic program (the new version), so I felt the above (not a lot of work per se) was well worth it.

Michael

Atlanta, GA

1Password Version: 7.04
Extension Version: 4.3.1
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: Dropbox/1Password.com

Comments

This discussion has been closed.