How to remove duplicate entries in 1Password 6

xpoetmarcr
xpoetmarcr
Community Member

After adding a new login and seeing it was not added to my Personal vault I found a forum entry with instructions about how to copy all the entries from the Primary vault to the Personal vault and then, from the Help menu Tools, select 'Clean up duplicate items' to move all the duplicates to the Trash.

Unfortunately, after I copied the Primary entries to the Personal vault I noticed the 'Clean up...' option was not in my Help>Tools menu. That's when I also noticed the instructions were for 1Password 7, and I am running 1Password 6 (I can't update any further than El Capitan on my 2009 MacPro).

My questions:
1) How can I remove the duplicate entries in my Personal vault other than manually, one at a time?
2) When the duplicates are removed should I delete the Primary vault, and if so, will everything still sync with my iOS devices?

Thank you for any assistance.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni

Hi there @xpoetmarcr! That duplicate finder is a feature brand new to 1Password 7, so you won't be able to use it with your 2009 Mac Pro. You will need to delete them manually; alternatively, if you have unique passwords for each site, you may be able to use Watchtower's duplicate password check to go through all the duplicates a bit faster.

Once you have one copy of all your data in your Personal vault, you should print out your Emergency Kit from 1Password.com to make sure you're never locked out of your account. Then, you can delete the Primary vault from your Mac. Finally, on all your other devices, follow these quick steps to get them all connected to your new account and vault.

• xpoetmarcr
    xpoetmarcr
    Community Member

Got it, and thank you for the quick reply!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@xpoetmarcr - on behalf of Henry, you're quite welcome! Glad he was able to assist you. :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @spinoza :)

I appreciate your feedback!

There is nothing in the user-visible panel to show or select the duplicate entries en masse.

Can you please give us some more information on what you are trying to do? If you use the duplicate removal tool, it should do this automatically for you, so you don't have to select anything. So if you could clarify what the process you have in mind looks like, we can see if there is anything we can do with what 1Password already offers.

I'm not allowed to filter on UUID, etc.

Filtering on UUID would just return a single item though, since that's exactly what UUID's are used for. If you need this feature, you can use the search bar inside 1Password for Mac.

But, more generally, I would like to understand what specific features you would like to have in the duplicate removal tool. I think if you could clarify the procedure you have in mind, it would be helpful for us so we can give you some more tips on how to tackle this.

Also bear in mind that we offer our CLI tool to our 1Password Membership customers. If there is something that you need to fit your specific workflow that is currently not available in the app, the CLI should give you the tools to build all you need so it works exactly the way you want it.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@spinoza:

I tried using the CLI tool with the script another user wrote, but its beyond my knowledge.

If you are more comfortable with spreadsheet software instead, you can always temporarily export your data in CSV format, cleanup the data as you see fit, and the import it to an empty vault back inside 1Password (remembering to delete the exported file then, because that's not encrypted), instead of using the CLI.

This discussion has been closed.