Can each user import their own existing 1Pasword 6 or 5 vaults into a family account of 1P7?

sdes
sdes
Community Member

I've been using 1Password for many years, now on 6 on Mac & iOS and 4 on PC, persuaded my mother & partner to start using it a few years back too, Mac and iOS, so now there are three separate "vaults", one for each of us. If I were to switch/upgrade to 1Password 7 family account, can each of us import our own vault into that shared account or is it only the bill payer / main user's vault that can be imported?

(The "additional information" section only seems to allow one device / OS to be listed, but there are at least 5 Mac OSX computers, 1 windows computer and 5 iOS devices that currently access the data)

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.13.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:import multiple vaults

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sdes: I'm not sure I understand most of your comments here, so if you can clarify what you're looking for that would be appreciated (for example, what "additional information" are you referring to?)

But the fundamental question I can answer:

Can each user import their own existing 1Pasword 6 or 5 vaults into a family account of 1P7?

Yes! With a 1Password Families membership, each family member you invite has their own account with their own Personal/private vault which only they can ever access. So they'd just need to follow this guide to migrate their existing data to their new account:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• sdes
    sdes
    Community Member

Hi brenty, thanks for the response, yes, I think now clear - each person can import their separate data to a new 1PW7 account - all good!

I know I'm not an advanced IT person, but I think that could be made clearer in the "Families" section, it certainly makes the product more compelling IMHO. If it hadn't been able to do that, I was going to stick with my 1PW6 on OSX, 1PW4 on Win mix, now I'm going to use 1PW7, so thanks again for the clarification.

Let's see how easy it is to get my 93 yr old mum to shift her 1PW5 data over - that should be a good test!

• sdes
    sdes
    Community Member

So, I was persuaded, and purchased the year's subscription to 1Password7, imported my own data first as a test, and now have duplicates of every entry, so my 700 odd items are now 1400. Not a great start.

What did I do wrong? As far as I could tell I just followed the instructions. What I did not do was delete my 1Password 6 data when offered that option, just in case I needed it. There was no warning that if I didn't do that I would get duplicates of every item, but perhaps it is that that has caused the issue, who knows.

What I do know is that it is now a mess that needs sorting out, an issue I have never encountered in all the years from 1PW3 to 1PW6. Ho hum.

• Bill_Lee
    Bill_Lee
    Community Member

I had the same thing happen and dealt with it by relying on the fact that each of my imported entries gained a tag "1Password 6 Import 29-5-18" so that I had duplicates with only one copy with this tag. Your imports should have a similar tag but different date.

I created a new vault called "Duplicates" and dragged all items with the "1Password 6 Import 29-5-18" into this vault, and then set this "Duplicates" vault to "Exclude from All Vaults" so I could click on the All Vaults and not see these duplicates, but they are all still available...just in case.

It seems to be working. One day I might delete my Duplicates vault...maybe.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018

@Bill_Lee: Great suggestion! :)

Hi brenty, thanks for the response, yes, I think now clear - each person can import their separate data to a new 1PW7 account - all good!

@sdes: Ah, great! :chuffed: :+1:

I know I'm not an advanced IT person, but I think that could be made clearer in the "Families" section, it certainly makes the product more compelling IMHO. If it hadn't been able to do that, I was going to stick with my 1PW6 on OSX, 1PW4 on Win mix, now I'm going to use 1PW7, so thanks again for the clarification.

Sounds good! I'm glad to hear you're trying it. We're definitely open to suggestions too. :)

Let's see how easy it is to get my 93 yr old mum to shift her 1PW5 data over - that should be a good test!

Interested to hear how it goes, but also more than happy to help along the way too!

So, I was persuaded, and purchased the year's subscription to 1Password7, imported my own data first as a test, and now have duplicates of every entry, so my 700 odd items are now 1400. Not a great start.

You'll only actually have duplicates in your account if you imported the same data twice — perhaps on two different devices. Otherwise you probably just forgot to remove your original vault and are looking at the All Vaults view with both that and the new one in your account, each with the same data.

What did I do wrong? As far as I could tell I just followed the instructions. What I did not do was delete my 1Password 6 data when offered that option, just in case I needed it.

Yep, that's it! You followed most of the instructions, and that got you into some trouble. To be clear, removing the local vault from the app doesn't "delete" your data; it will still exist anywhere else you sync'd it or backed it up. And 1Password also saves a backup before removing as well.

There was no warning that if I didn't do that I would get duplicates of every item, but perhaps it is that that has caused the issue, who knows. What I do know is that it is now a mess that needs sorting out, an issue I have never encountered in all the years from 1PW3 to 1PW6. Ho hum.

I think my explanation above should help, but if you do really want to keep the original vault in 1Password (it sounds like you don't, but still did anyway) you can hide it from All Vaults under Preferences > Vaults. Let me know how it goes.

This discussion has been closed.