To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

No Secret Key means I can't continue to use already purchased license

GeorgiaEK
GeorgiaEK
Community Member

@brenty - About 5 years ago, I purchased 1Password through the App Store. A few weeks ago, I changed jobs. My work computer was the only place I had logged into 1Password. Thus, I cannot access my Secret Key. I don't believe I have access to the emergency kit. Please confirm that this means I can't migrate my passwords to my new computer.

I was able to log into 1Password somehow without the secret key by using an old copy of my 1Password data that I had apparently saved in my dropbox account, but the copy is one that contains very little of my data and it also doesn't seem to be associated with an account. I'm able to log in, but when I go to preferences it doesn't show me any accounts. If I'm not able to migrate my old data bc of no secret key, can I at least continue to use my already-purchased license?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: High Sierra 10.13.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Angry_Figs
    Angry_Figs
    Community Member

I came here to ask the same exact question :(
    I bought the app a few years ago through the app store and now I can't migrate to a new computer with this app. I don't even have a secret key. I tried recovery process for a secret key but it bizarrely asks you to log into a website using the key itself. I only created a master key at the time. I'm seriously upset because for a company/app that is acclaimed to be a bestseller, I can't even find a chat service and the troubleshooting steps are complicated and nothing is working.

I'm assuming they're doing this to force you to create a membership and pay monthly. I never created a membership when I purchased and have been using the software just fine for many years except the moment I bought a new computer and now I need to migrate my stuff.

If the only option is to make me pay monthly, I'm ditching this software for good. I'm really sick of these subs. Every single service now requires subbing. I was looking at my bills the other day and I can't believe the amount of monthly charges everyone is asking for. They'll start charging us for breathing oxygen per monthly or annually soon.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm sorry for the confusion. With a standalone license for 1Password, there is no Secret Key. It sounds like you may be trying to login with a 1Password Account, but you will only have one if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership. That’s the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. Instead, you can use 1Password without an account and sync your data from another device or create a new vault. You'll have received an email receipt regardless of when or where you purchased the app, and that will tell you if you need to install it from our website or your App Store purchase history. I don't have any way of knowing where your data is, but if you've got a copy of it somewhere you can use that as well. Let me know if you have any questions!

• GeorgiaEK
    GeorgiaEK
    Community Member

Thanks @brenty. To be clear, I don't have access to the laptop anymore or anything that contains my data as I thought it was saved in 1Password's cloud. So it sounds like I essentially paid for an on-premise license? In which case, I could use this moving forward but I would need to make sure that I have copies of it saved in one of the "advanced sync" options you included in your link?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@GeorgiaEK: Indeed, if you don't have a backup of your data anywhere, I'm really sorry to hear that. I've been there. :( Essentially while I think it's important to not think of sync as a backup, having your data in more than one place can make all the difference. Data loss is something I've experienced and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. It isn't an exciting headline feature for most people, but I am so glad that 1Password.com memberships include automatic offsite backup for the data. That way even if all of my devices are lost, stolen, or destroyed, I just need my account credentials to sign in to get it again. So while there are other options (syncing and backing up yourself), that's what I'd recommend going forward to avoid having to worry about it.

But are you certain you wouldn't be able to negotiate to get your data from the work computer? As awkward as that could potentially be, it may be better than starting over from nothing.

• GeorgiaEK
    GeorgiaEK
    Community Member

Thanks for the quick responses and clarification, @brenty - I’ve already reached out to my former employer but haven’t heard back yet. What instructions should I tell them to follow if they haven’t wiped my computer yet?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@GeorgiaEK: Oh that's good to hear! There isn't unfortunately an easy answer without more details, but probably the best shot would be to grab a local backup that 1Password saves. Even with 1Password locked, if you go to Preferences > Backups, you can click "Show Files" to open the backup folder. There will probably be a lot there, but they're all dated — something like 1Password 2018-06-19 15_55_20 (2 profiles, 10 items, 0 folders, 10 attachments).1p4_zip — so it will be fairly easy to pick out the most recent ones and copy those to a USB drive or something. If they can get that to you, you should be in good shape. :)

• GeorgiaEK
    GeorgiaEK
    Community Member

@brenty I have recovered my 1password data and migrated it to my new computer. How do I now keep this information and convert it into a cloud license that my fiance and I can use on multiple synced devices moving forward?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018

@GeorgiaEK: Great! Thanks for the update. :)

If you'd like to switch to 1Password Families, this guide will take you all the way through signing up, migrating your existing data to the new account, and setting up all of your devices:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Then, you can invite your loved ones to share vaults — and the benefits of 1Password.com membership — with them:

Share passwords in 1Password Families

And if you have any questions along the way, let me know. Happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.