1Password 6.8.8 (App Store Purchase) suddenly read-only

Options
MacPeter
MacPeter
Community Member
edited June 2018 in Mac

One one of my families Macs 1Password 6.8.8 is suddenly read-only and forcing me to buy a (new) license.
I have bought 1Password May 11th 2017 as an in-app purchase from the Mac Appstore.
How to recover the license on this Mac ?

1Password Version: 6.8.8
_Extension Version:
Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6
_Sync Type:
Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @MacPeter

I’m sorry to hear about the trouble. Has the Apple ID being used on this system changed? Purchases from the App Store are tied to your Apple ID and cannot be transferred to another ID. Apple’s Family Sharing does not apply to in-app purchases. Please try removing 1Password from this Mac (quit 1Password, move it to the trash and then empty the trash), making sure the App Store is signed into the Apple ID that was used to make the purchase, and then use the App Store’s Purchases tab to reinstall 1Password.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• MacPeter
    MacPeter
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

That helped, still odd that a fine working app suddenly stopped working and requires a reinstallation.

Cheers,
    Peter

• Ben
    Options

@MacPeter I suspect that has more to do with how/when receipts are validated for App Store apps than with 1Password itself, but I agree it would be better if this could happen imediately after changing an Apple ID to make it more clear that the two things are linked. In any event, glad to hear that resolved the issue for you.

If we can be of further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• wmcpherson
    wmcpherson
    Community Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

Deleted the app and reinstalled from the App Store. Still 'Read Only'. Any suggestions?
    Purchased 05/23/2018
    Order number [removed by 1Password team]

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @wmcpherson! Sorry to hear you're having troubles just now, but without a little more information, there's not a lot we'll be able to do here. We also can't look up Mac App Store purchases, as those are proprietary to Apple. We don't even know who's downloaded, much less paid for, our software from Apple's App Stores.

However, one thing that does strike me is that 5/23/18 is well past the date when we stopped allowing outright purchase of 1Password for Mac at the Mac App Store. You may indeed have downloaded it...but you would've needed to sign up for a 1password.com account in order to remove the Read Only restrictions. Did you? If not, that'll be the reason your standalone data are still in Read Only mode. If you click the Read Only badge in any 1Password item detail, you should be able to subscribe. If you want to keep standalone data instead, you'll need the version from our downloads page, and also to purchase a license directly from our FastSpring store (available as an in-app purchase).

This discussion has been closed.