I downloaded 1Password 7, acquired a membership, and now my 1Password 6 data is gone! Help!!

jlweaver22
jlweaver22
Community Member

I've been using 1Password 6. I've downloaded 1Password 7 and acquired a membership. During the setup I indicated the appropriate file to use, completed setup and now there is NO data in my 1Password 7 file. I can no longer find my 1Password 6 data and I did not delete anything. Please help me. Where is all my data?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I downloaded 1Password 7, acquired a membership, and now my 1Password 6 data is gone! Help!!

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @jlweaver22! I'm sorry for the trouble you've had upgrading to 1Password 7 for Mac. For reference, your data are located here:

• 1Password 6 for Mac (from AgileBits): ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Data/OnePassword.sqlite
    • 1Password 6 for Mac (from the Mac App Store): ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data/OnePassword.sqlite

and

• 1Password 7 for Mac (all versions): ~Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data/OnePassword.sqlite

Can you do me a favor and have a look in Preferences > Vaults and see what you see there? 1Password 7 may have imported your data, but you'll know it if you check here. If you still find only your single 1password.com vault and no data, let me know.

• jlweaver22
    jlweaver22
    Community Member

It shows a “Jeff Weaver” vault and indented under that is “Personal”

• jlweaver22
    jlweaver22
    Community Member

Also ... my vault used to be in Dropbox accessed from all my devices. When I bring back up 1Password 6, all the data shows but I don’t see the vault in Dropbox.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jlweaver22 - thanks for the clarification. Here's what I'd like you to do:

• Make sure you're running only 1Password 7 for Mac and not 1Password 6 for Mac.
    • In 1Password 7 for Mac, click File > Import
    • In the pop-up window, choose "1Password 6"
    • In the navigation window that pops up, choose whichever of the above 1Password 6 locations is appropriate for you, depending on whether you had the Mac App Store version of 1Password 6 for Mac or the version downloaded from us. If you can not see your Library folder inside your User folder (/Users/yourname/Library), you'll need to make it visible first. To do that:

• Open a new Finder window and navigate to your Home folder (with your name).
      • From the menubar in Finder, choose View > Show View Options.
      • In the view options box that pops up, click "Show Library Folder" near the bottom, then close the window. You should now see a folder called "Library" in your home folder.
    • In 1Password 7 for Mac's import navigation window, click "Open" after selecting your OnePassword.sqlite file.

That should import your previous database from 1Password 6 for Mac into your 1password.com membership account in 1Password 7 for Mac. Let me know how that goes for you.

• jlweaver22
    jlweaver22
    Community Member

Lars ... once I found out how to reveal the Library file (which is no different than what you shared previously) I was able to import the file into 1Password 7. Thank you.

Another question. Do I now need to update my wifes 1Password 6 to 7 or will it continue to work agains the same file? Also, how is the synching being done now the the file is no longer in Dropbox? Anything I need to do to enable all the devices (laptop, phones, iPads) to continue to stay in sync?

Jeff

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jlweaver22 - glad to hear it went smoothly! As far as your wife, it depends -- you didn't mention another person in your first post. If you and your wife would like to each have a Private vault for your individual items and a Shared vault for things you both will need/use (bank accounts, credit cards, the family Netflix credentials, etc), then a 1Password Families account is what you want. If the membership you created is an individual one, you can "convert" it by clicking the "Invite People" link in the right sidebar of your account (in a browser). Sign into your account in a browser, click that link, and you'll see this pop-up:

Click "upgrade to a family account," then follow the instructions to send her an invitation. Once your wife is registered and you've confirmed her, she can add her account into her existing 1Password 6 setup, and move her items over from her local vault into either her Private vault in the 1Password Families account or the Shared vault. Finally, once her old Primary vault is empty, she can visit Preferences > Advanced and UN-check the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts."

Once she's done that, all the 1Password apps will be free for her (included in the 1Password Families membership of $4.99/mo for both of you). She can download and install 1Password 7 for Mac and join you on the new version! :)

Regarding your (and her) other devices: once you've done the data transfer from your older Dropbox vault to your new 1password.com vault, you've got all your data in your account. So for other devices, use these instructions to wipe the data on other devices and start over. When you launch 1Password as a "new user" on each device, just sign into your account, and you'll have everything right there, in sync across all devices.

• jlweaver22
    jlweaver22
    Community Member

Lars ... We don't need separate account. I just want to be able to access the same vault from multiple devices. In this case, it's the iMac, the MacBook Pro, both iPhones and both iPads. Does this require a Family Account? I was under the impression we could use on license of "7" on multiple devices. Jeff

• @jlweaver22

1Password 7 licensing is per-person, per-platform. 1Password 7 for Mac license for example allows one person to use 1Password on all of their Macs. It doesn’t allow other people to use 1Password on those Macs. It also wouldn’t include access to 1Password for iOS’ Pro features. That is why we usually recommend membership especially in cases like this. 1Password Families membership would include access for you and your wife on all of your devices, and would also include future upgrades (which a license would not).

I hope that helps!

Ben

• jlweaver22
    jlweaver22
    Community Member

So now I’m officially confused. 🤔 Is the $5/mo Family license in addition to the 1Password $70 license or in lieu of?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jlweaver22 - those are two different ways to pay for and use 1Password. $4.99/mo is not a license, it is a membership for up to five people. You would each have a 1Password Families account, with the ability to share data between you. Each person gets the ability to use all four of our 1Password apps (Mac, Windows, iOS and Android) on as many devices as they own/use, for as long as you maintain the account. This includes all future versions of all four apps as well.

If you purchase a $64.99 license, that allows you only to license 1Password 7 for Mac on as many Macs as you own/use, but does not include upgrades to future versions. Your data will not be synced via the 1Password.com servers; you will create it locally and set up and maintain sync yourself, manually. Your wife would need to purchase her own license to do the same.

• jlweaver22
    jlweaver22
    Community Member

Ahh! The light is finally stating to come on. Thank you very much for being patient with me. With the Family Account, can my wife have her own sign-in password, accessing the same vault data as mine, or would she need to use the password I set up?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jlweaver22 - with a 1Password Families account, each of you would have your own Master Password and Secret Key, and be able to sign in separately at 1password.com in a browser. When you add your 1password.com account into one of our 1Password applications, it will ask you to either scan your details (using the setup code - looks like a QR code) or enter them manually. They are:

1. Sign in address -- https://my.1password.com for an individual account, or some-name-you-chose.1password.com for a 1Password Families account
    2. email address - yours will be different from hers; each member needs to use his/her own.
    3. Secret Key
    4. Master Password (each person chooses his/her own).

Each of you will have a Private vault, for your own data, plus access to the family-wide Shared vault, for items you both use/need, such as shared bank accounts or credit cards, online service passwords like Hulu or Netflix, etc. You should not set up your wife's account; she should do that on her own. You invite her to join you by signing into your account in a browser, and clicking "Invite people" in the sidebar. Follow the instructions to invite your wife (if you have not yet). She'll get an email from us on your behalf, with instructions for how to sign up for your 1Password Families account. When she's done, you'll need to confirm her registration, and that should get her set up with the vaults I mentioned earlier.

• jlweaver22
    jlweaver22
    Community Member

That works. Thank you very much!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jlweaver22 - you're quire welcome! Glad I was able to assist. :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.