how to downgrade

mirro
mirro
Community Member

Hi I've licenses for 1password 6 for my 2 macs
I wanted to try 1password 7 downloading by your site.
Now I want to get back to version 6.
Where can I download the old version?
Will be the database still ok with version 6?
Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@mirro there are detailed instructions for downgrading in this AgileBits' post. It includes a link to the place from which you can download 1Password 6.

Stephen

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @mirro! @Stephen_C's link should give you the information/instructions you need, but before I just send you on your way, can I ask what led you to want to downgrade back to 1Password 6 for Mac? You're of course free to pursue whatever course seems best to you, and at the moment, 1Password 6 for Mac is still working just fine since it's only been a little over a month since it's been retired to "legacy" status. However, I'm asking partly because if there are issues you had with 1Password 7 for Mac that are easily solved or explained, I'd love to help you get them straightened out rather than see you use reverting to an older version as a long-term strategy. Like I said, 1Password 6 for Mac works fine...for now, and probably for the near-term future. But because version 6 is no longer the current version, it won't be receiving developer attention any longer. That means, in the same way that 1Password 3 for Mac no longer really works on current versions of macOS and current browsers, that will (eventually) become the case for 1Password 6 for Mac also. I'd love to help get you upgraded properly, if you're interested in pursuing that option. Let me know! :)

• mirro
    mirro
    Community Member

Sorry but cannot download 6.8 version at this link: https://app-updates.agilebits.com

• mirro
    mirro
    Community Member

Well, I think you can guess the reason why i want to downgrade... Simply I hate software with annual subscription, I want to be free to upgrade or not to a new version. I want to buy a software once and decide in the future if pay for an upgrade or not.
    1password is a really great software but really too much expensive, even for the single license version. I think you will loose thousands of costumers for this reason; yes, probably you will earn more anyway, but I don't want to be part of this "game".. If every software I use would require an annual subscription I couldn't even eat.
    I keep the 6 version for a bit longer, then I will pass to another software, maybe with less functions, but ok for my needs.
    Thanks anyway for your interest.

• @mirro,

Its down in the bottom of the page under the Legacy Versions section: https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPM4#v689001

Best of luck to you.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mirro - just to add to what rudy said, I wouldn't have asked you if I was certain I knew the reason you wanted to downgrade. If it's a matter of simply not wanting to pay any more, that's one thing. But if you had one or two technical issues getting upgraded that we could solve for you, I'd much prefer to assist you in getting you where you initially set out to go instead of letting you stay on a legacy version that's only going to get older as time passes.

• GMhxx
    GMhxx
    Community Member

I have to admit I'm on the same boat, I really don't like all these new subscriptions services... Almost all the app that I liked are switching to this model... 1Password, Textexpander, Day One... The thing is I can understand the subscriptions when the app is a service, like dropbox but in the case of 1Password it's been working for years without the needing to be a service, sync with dropbox or sync with iCloud. In the case of 1password, I cant understand if you need the team or family options, but I don't. So I plan on using my good old 1password 6 for as long as it works and see what I'll do once it doesn't, if I subscribe or if I go somewhere else.

I understand the need for developers to find new sources of income and I was willing to pay for the upgrade of the standalone like I did since the beginning with 1password as I've been a user since V2 and V1 on windows, but then when I saw the price of 65$ for improvements that are mostly for the functions that I don't use (ie team and family) I decided to skip this one which is unfortunate as I've always been keen to support developer, but I'm not getting much new thing for my bucks this time around beside the look...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @GMhxx!

The thing is I can understand the subscriptions when the app is a service, like dropbox but in the case of 1Password it's been working for years without the needing to be a service, sync with dropbox or sync with iCloud.

Good news, then -- you still can. We are selling standalone licenses for 1Password 7 for Mac, just as we did with previous versions.

...but then when I saw the price of 65$ for improvements that are mostly for the functions that I don't use (ie team and family) I decided to skip this one...

Once again, good news! Right now (though I don't know for how much longer), a standalone license for 1Password 7 for Mac is at the "launch special" price of $49.99, over 23% off the full price of $64.99.

Even better, the improvements are nowhere near exclusive to 1password.com members. Here's just a short and incomplete list of features that any 1Password user can take advantage of, whether standalone or 1password.com member:

• Completely redesigned Watchtower, with better protection, including integration with Troy Hunt's haveibeenpwned service, to notify you of re-used passwords, compromised logins (this was what Watchtower used to be), accounts you have that are 2FA-capable but for which you haven't enabled it yet, and more
    • Showing you logins for current apps, not just websites (try it with iTunes!)
    • Markdown support in all items' notes fields as well as Secure Notes
    • Nested tags
    • A completely new, fuzzy-search-powered Quick Open search feature
    • Single process architecture (combining the main 1Password app and the mini into a single process, which improves security and eliminates communication issues between the mini and main app)
    • A Duplicate Items finder to clean up instances of duplicated items across vaults
    • Both the Mac App Store version and our version of 1Password 7 for Mac are fully sandboxed, for the first time, increasing security and integration with macOS

...and more, as they say. :) Of course, like every new release, it's on us to demonstrate to users that the value we've provided in terms of new features (not just bug fixes or incremental stability improvements) is worth the new cost we're charging, and certainly opinions about that will vary. But as a long-time user of 1Password (well before I worked here), I'd certainly say there's plenty here for all 1Password 7 for Mac users (not just 1password.com members) to justify the upgrade. Let us know if you have any questions. :)

• GMhxx
    GMhxx
    Community Member

Downgraded this morning but will take this into consideration....

• :+1:

Ben

• wmgilligan
    wmgilligan
    Community Member

Unfortunately - I have to agree with the previous - overkill for me. Downgraded and moving on...

• Fair enough.

Ben

• Jen_B
    Jen_B
    Community Member

Howdy. My husband just subscribed to a family membership, and we're happy to pay for it, but I'd like to downgrade (or at least go with 1Password 6) for a different reason: I'm on a MacBook Pro from mid-2010, and I don't want to upgrade my OS from El Cap 10.11.6. Is there any way I can use 1Password6 with a subscription to 1Password7? Any way to use 1Password7 with older operating systems?

To pre-empt any cheerful and well-meaning advice to just upgrade to a new operating system so that I can use 1Password7: The collateral damage of a new OS wouldn't be worth it. Every "upgrade" costs me significant time, headaches, money, and worry and loses me another piece of excellent software that worked the way I wanted it to in exchange for something that's bigger, more bloated, and more time-consuming. Already I've had to give up my old word-processing software (because I swapped to an SD drive so I could upgrade from my old OS to a new OS so I could upgrade to the new Chrome browser, and in the process lost my old word-processing license). Now I'm stuck with word-processing bloatware that takes more keyboard clicks to use for what used to be simple actions. My new operating system and software now subject me to ads/notices for more "upgrades" to software that I don't want. Whereas I used to be able to run several programs at once, the cumulative effect of all the new software programs is that my computer suffers heat stroke: if I run too many new software programs, the screen speckles with black squares as the fan runs continuously and the processor gives up.

In short, when my husband told me he'd subscribed to 1Password7 so that I could share the software and upgrade my old luddite password habits, I was pleased. But then I discovered I'd have to upgrade my operating system. Again. Nope.

I do not want to buy a whole new laptop just to use 1Password7. Can I downgrade to 1Password6 as part of our subscription, or should I purchase it separately? Is there any way to enjoy our subscription without getting trapped on the continuous computer upgrade treadmill?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited December 2018

@Jen_B

At the moment it is possible to use 1Password 6 for Mac with 1Password membership but that is subject to change. Also, that said, as a security focused company we really can't recommend any course of action other than running the latest versions of macOS, your web browsers, and of course 1Password. macOS10.11 is no longer being updated, and hasn't been updated since July. I understand your hestitation given past experience, but I'd be remiss if I didn't say so.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.