Can I still be able to access 1Password if I lost the Secret Key

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member

I am using 1Password service. What I have are

1. Sign-in Address
  2. Email Address
  3. Master Password

With all these can I be able to access 1Password vault?

1Password 7
Version 7.0.4 (70004001)
AgileBits Store

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@lixinyang - not quite. You'll also need your Secret Key. When you sign up for a 1password.com membership, you'll be asked for your email address (which I assume you know :) ). You'll also get the sign-in URL for your account (which will be whateveryouchose.1password.com if you have a 1Password Families or 1Password Business account, or my.1password.com for an individual account). Beyond that, you need a Master Password, just like you've always had if you've used 1Password in the past, but for 1password.com accounts, you'll also need the Secret Key. This is an extra layer of protection, available only on 1password.com accounts. Each time you sign into your account on a new device (either in a 1Password app or a new browser), you'll need the Secret Key as well as those other three pieces of information. Do you have your Secret Key?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

I have the key I am just wondering what if I do not have access to the secret key but I have internet access, master password, and 1Password families. Can I still be able to access my vault?

• btownguy
    btownguy
    Community Member

You won't be able to access it on a new device because access on any new device will require the secret key. However, if you have your phone with you (and you have 1PW on your phone), you can quickly look up your secret key when you want to sign in on a new device (new PC or Mac for example).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@lixinyang - @btownguy's advice is correct -- most of us have at least one device with us at (nearly) all times, so you can find your Secret Key there if you need to.

That said, the only reason you should need your Secret Key is when you are using 1Password on a device you've previously not used it on. That's the case if you get a new phone or computer, or you're using a browser you've never used 1Password with before. But I should caution you that we don't recommend accessing your 1password.com account on devices you don't trust. And while there may be different definitions of "trust," the easiest and most-secure would be "devices you don't control/own." We don't recommend signing into your 1password.com account at a library or internet cafe, for example, because there's no way of knowing what kind of malware might be on the device (even if the owner him/herself did not install it knowingly). It's much better practice to make sure you have your own device with you -- even if that means you're reading off your password for a site and typing it into a computer you're using, rather than signing into your 1password.com account on that computer.

This discussion has been closed.