Why do linked documents unlink when moving the parent item to another vault?

Options
xz4gb8
xz4gb8
Community Member

I recently began populating a separate personal vault to prepare for a friend currently using files in an encrypted folder for storage. This was with the goal of increasing the accessibility of data on all devices and also to reduce synchronization issues. For redundancy when creating, for example, a login object, I created the login object using credentials and URL from the document and then added the document as an associated file. This was to provide both fallback data and psychological comfort to the user. For logistical reasons, I did this preparation work prior to creating a new account and installing the first 1Password instance on macOS.

The next step was to move the new data from my separate personal vault to the user's new private vault. 1Password's multiple login capability makes accessing both at once simple. Following the procedure for macOS found elsewhere, I moved all items from one vault to the other. All linked documents were marked as deleted items. There were only 30 or so objects that required relinking documents so it was not too burdensome.

Why were the documents unlinked when copying objects from one vault to another?
Is this expected behavior?
Is there another way that would make a true copy with links intact?

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: 10.13.5
Sync Type: n/a

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @xz4gb8

Yes, this is currently expected behaviour. Links being broken when you move an item to a different vault is one of the downsides of 1Password's current document linking functionality. It's one of the things our developers want to fix with an update to how documents and linking work in the next iteration of the functionality. For now, though, there isn't any workaround but it's on the list of "things to do". Sorry for the inconvenience.

• xz4gb8
    xz4gb8
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the quick answer.

I now have four arms.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

You're very welcome @xz4gb8, happy to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.