2FA and what if I die?

morgsd
morgsd
Community Member

Hello,

So for a long time now I have been trying to work out what data I would need to provide to another in order that they might be able to access my 1Password should I pass away.

I have set up a 1Password Family Subscription. Downloaded the Emergency Pack. I figured that this would be enough to give a trusted family member (for example), as long as I included my Master Password.

But then I turned on 2FA using Authy. Do I then also need to give them my Authy access details? To access my Authy, you would need access to my iPhone. The password to my iPhone is stored in my 1Password.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Morgs

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:inviting

Comments

• gazu
    gazu
    Community Member

@morgsd just write down your secret - the long string of numbers and letters.

• 1Password doesn't actually support 2FA unless you're using Duo.
    • Authy is 2SV and the correct option in your scenario.

Remember that 1Password can also deactivate 2FA or 2SV unlike the Master Password and Secret Key. However it's best to keep a copy of your 2SV secret in the emergency kit.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

1Password doesn't actually support 2FA unless you're using Duo.

@gazu: Just to clarify, that isn't the case. All 1Password.com accounts support native (TOTP) two-factor authentication:

Turn on two-factor authentication for your 1Password account

Duo is not involved in that.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@morgsd: With two-factor authentication setup on your account, the following will be needed to access your account:

• Emergency Kit, which automatically includes email address, sign in address, and Secret Key
    • Master Password (optionally you can fill it on your Emergency Kit)
    • TOTP secret

So long as those are available, it is possible to sign into the account even if all authorized devices are lost, stolen, or destroyed.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.