1Password manual update prevents extension working and a solution

Smoky Fred
Smoky Fred
Community Member

I've had a number of issues with recent versions of 1P7 and just stumbled on a solution that seems to indicate an issue when manually updating the app.

Every update since 7.0.5b-3 has caused the extension to fail to work after being manually updated (I have several computers and don't want to download to each). The only solution I've found is to completely uninstall 1P (using CleamMyMac) and then manually install the update.

Using this process, I now have 7.0.7 working whereas before doing the uninstall, the extension failed every time I clicked it.

Perhaps there is something that is being deleted when doing an in-app update as opposed to the manual update.

I've computers running 10.12.6 and 10.13.5 and the process works for both.

Hopefully, this will help others until AgileBits resolves the issue.

Fred

1Password Version: 7.0.7
Extension Version: 4.7.2
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

The only solution I've found is to completely uninstall 1P (using CleamMyMac) and then manually install the update.

While I appreciate this may have helped you, for others reading this thread please note that AgileBits strongly recommends against using any app cleaner app when removing 1Password. The risk is that it will remove files that you need to keep (like local 1Password data files).

Stephen

• Smoky Fred
    Smoky Fred
    Community Member

@Stephen_C - I understand but as I noted on another discussion, I’m using Dropbox and made sure when uninstalling that my data was not included (CMM didn’t list it).

Fred

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Smoky Fred: Thanks for reaching out about this! It may be too late to ask now, but did you try restarting your Mac when that happened? That can help because macOS may still have parts of the old version in memory, which can cause the issue you're describing. Also make sure you don't have other copies of 1Password somewhere else.

With regard to Stephen's comments, I agree completely. It sounds like you have things well in hand, but I hope you'll bear with us in pointing out the risk for others who might read this conversation.

• Smoky Fred
    Smoky Fred
    Community Member

@brenty - Frankly, I don't remember if I restarted. I have never had to in the past. That's why I'm wondering what changed since 7.0.5b-3 that would cause this.

I agree that "newbies" should be careful using the uninstall process. User Beware!

Fred

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Frankly, I don't remember if I restarted. I have never had to in the past. That's why I'm wondering what changed since 7.0.5b-3 that would cause this.

@Smoky Fred: I agree that shouldn't be necessary, but if something is hung up keeping the app from quitting completely that will be the best thing to do. We didn't make any changes to the update process.

I agree that "newbies" should be careful using the uninstall process. User Beware!

Indeed, just want to make sure we're not inadvertently leading others to destroy their data. Better safe than sorry! :) :+1:

• Smoky Fred
    Smoky Fred
    Community Member

@brenty - Okay, I installed 7.0.7 on my laptop running 10.13.5 and the "update" over the previous version "failed" in that I got the brief screen blip indicating that the extension couldn't connect to the app. I then restarted my laptop and all was good.

On a related note, I've seen now for several versions that, when installing, the dialog box that displays that 1P7 is running requires 2 clicks on the Quit All to actually remove 1P7 from the box. This is after making sure that the box has focus. Maybe it's related to the incomplete update? Just an FYI.

Fred

• ewiesner26
    ewiesner26
    Community Member

I see this issue as well when trying to update via the Mac App store. I usually start Activity Monitor and force 1P to quit. Seems to be an issue with the installer.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Okay, I installed 7.0.7 on my laptop running 10.13.5 and the "update" over the previous version "failed" in that I got the brief screen blip indicating that the extension couldn't connect to the app. I then restarted my laptop and all was good.

@Smoky Fred: Thanks for letting us know! Glad to hear you're back up and running after a restart. :)

On a related note, I've seen now for several versions that, when installing, the dialog box that displays that 1P7 is running requires 2 clicks on the Quit All to actually remove 1P7 from the box. This is after making sure that the box has focus. Maybe it's related to the incomplete update? Just an FYI.

Could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. It sounds like you're referring to an App Store dialog, which we won't have any control over, but I'd rather be sure. Thanks in advance!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I see this issue as well when trying to update via the Mac App store. I usually start Activity Monitor and force 1P to quit. Seems to be an issue with the installer.

@ewiesner26: Indeed, with the App Store, the App Store itself manages updates. While I haven't experienced this issue with 1Password myself, I see it with other apps from time to time and have to attempt to update a few times, usually with quitting them myself first. Not sure why that is necessary sometimes, as it isn't all the time for me, or even the same apps when it does happen.

• Smoky Fred
    Smoky Fred
    Community Member

@brenty - I've attached a marked-up screenshot to let you know what I'm talking about. I do NOT have the Mac App store version, I bought direct (my normal preference).

Fred

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Smoky Fred: Ah, thanks for clarifying! I haven't seen or heard of that particular issue before. Are you certain that it doesn't just take a bit for it to quit after you click it the first time? Sometimes I have to wait a bit even when killing a process with Activity monitor. I'll see if I can reproduce it here.

• Smoky Fred
    Smoky Fred
    Community Member

@brenty - I’ve tried waiting several seconds a few times, but no change. If it’s happening to others, I suspect most of us just shrug and move on.

Fred

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Smoky Fred: Ohhhhhh I think I see what's happening. The first click does actually quit 1Password. But it looks like the window isn't refreshing after that, so Continue is still inactive. Clicking Quit All a second time can't actually quit 1Password, so this seems to make the installer realize that you're good to go, and it proceeds automatically after that. We'll see if we can fix that. You'd still need to click a second time no matter what (the Continue button) so it wouldn't actually save you a click, but I agree that it's confusing. Thanks for pointing this out! :)

ref: apple-1765

This discussion has been closed.