Should I not use 1Password as the 2fa authenticator for my 1Password account?

Coxy117
Coxy117
Community Member

There's no such thing as a stupid question..... right?

I've just discovered 1Password's authenticator capabilities so I'm switching my two-factor accounts to authenticate in 1Password rather than Google Authenticator. Its awesome having it held in 1Password for me!

Caught up with the excitement, I disabled and renabled two-factor authentication in my 1Password account, with 1Password as the 2fa authenticator.

Of course my Desktop app and my iPhone simultaneously started asking for the 2fa code.... I had a minor panic until I realised I was logged into the browser and could access the codes that way.

But thinking it through, I don't think its the smartest thing - I may want to be able to access 1Password on my iPhone when I don't have access to desktop of web.

So I have reverted to Google Authenticator for my 1Password two factor authentication.

I have two questions/points:

1) What is your recommendation about using 1Password's own 2fa capabilities on a 1Password account?

2) If it is not recommended, perhaps you could include a warning at the point a user is trying to set it up.

Look forward to hearing what you think!

Thanks,

Dan

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS High Sierra
Sync Type: 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:two factor

Comments

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Coxy117 no such thing as a dumb question here :smile:. We actually warn against using 1Password as the authenticator to your 1Password account in this support article, which is linked when setting up 2FA.

We could definitely make this more clear during the setup process rather than hiding it behind the support article link. Your feedback has been noted :smile:.

• actualjack
    actualjack
    Community Member

Hi. Seems I wasn't as smart as @Coxy117 and I put the keys in the safe in an effort to be more protective of the vault. Is a user totally in a bad way if this happens? Or is there some mechanism to remove the 2FA to correct this? I really wish I had seen the warning before I did this - or had more common sense :(
    Thanks,
    Jack

• Hi @actualjack

Is this a theoretical situation or are you currently locked out? If you're locked out please email us at support@1password.com. When you email in you'll get a support ID back. Please post that ID here so we can make sure your ticket gets to the correct spot.

Thanks.

Ben

• actualjack
    actualjack
    Community Member

Hi Ben -
    It’s LUJ-79982-425.
    Thanks
    Jack

• Thanks @actualjack. We'll be in touch soon.

Ben

ref: LUJ-79982-425

• actualjack
    actualjack
    Community Member

Thanks @Ben - Support emailed and guided me through - all is ok.

• :+1: :)

Ben

• steven1
    steven1
    Community Member

For the benefit of others, if you added your 1Password OTP to 1Password, edit the item containing the 1Password OTP, copy the OTP secret and manually add it to Authy, Google, etc.

I leave the 1Password OTP in 1Password for ease of logging in to the website (e.g. I have 1P running and unlocked on my desktop), but also in Authy and Google as a backup.

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for sharing that info @steven1; hopefully it will benefit others in the future :smile:.

This discussion has been closed.