1Password 7 lost a password

jhurwitz
jhurwitz
Community Member

Here's what happened:

• I edited a password in a log-in item on 1Password 7 for Mac (desktop app, syncing to Dropbox)
  • I then added a new section and added some fields to it
  • I then tried to update the url -- at this point 1Password showed me an error (I forget the exact text, it was something like "null urls.id") and then when I closed the error, the log-in was completely gone
  • I couldn't find the log-in anywhere in 1Password (via search, in deleted items, or anywhere)
  • I then used Dropbox to restore an old version of the one .js file 1Password had just edited, hoping this would fix the issue -- it did not
  • I opened 1Password on my phone (iOS) and was able to correctly view the password and (because I had rolled back via Dropbox) some but not all of the edits I had made after updating the password -- however, 1Password 7 for Mac was still refusing to show this log-in item
  • I uninstalled 1Password 7 and re-installed 1Password 6, and can see the log-in item again

If there is one thing my password manager should NEVER EVER do, that's to lose or refuse to show me a password. I will not be re-installing 1Password 7 until this issue is fixed. As a result, I apologize in advance but am unable to attempt to repro or collect more info about this error, because I will not be re-installing 1Password 7 on my laptop.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@jhurwitz I strongly suspect that, although you have not told us the exact version of 1Password you are using, it's either 7.0.5 or 7.0.6. If you update to 7.0.7 you'll find the problem is fixed. Further, if I'm right, you've not lost anything. Simply lock 1Password and unlock it again and you'll find the relevant item there.

(I am merely another user trying to help. Please don't shoot the messenger.)

Stephen

• jhurwitz
    jhurwitz
    Community Member

Stephen, thanks -- you're correct, I was on 7.0.5. (Given that 7.0.6 was released 3 days ago, I've used my laptop every day since then, and 1Password usually autoupdates itself, I do wonder how I ended up so far behind.)

Reading the changelog, I see that it does appear that 7.0.7 fixes this issue. Thanks for the heads-up.

I will still probably wait a few months for 1Password 7 to become more stable before I give it another shot.

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018

Hi @jhurwitz, most of the launch kinks have been ironed out if you would like to give it another try. In the end, it is your call :smile:.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

• jhurwitz
    jhurwitz
    Community Member

This discussion thread is maybe not the best venue for such feedback, but I've found using 1Password 7 since the beta came out, and this is merely the latest in a string of 1Password 7 bugs to affect people using vaults stored on the filesystem (as opposed to vaults stored in the 1Password cloud).

The fact that a bug as serious as this one managed to make it into a public release -- and wasn't caught by integration testing before the release -- appears to me to be final confirmation that the 1Password development team has seriously de-prioritized all users who aren't paying them a monthly subscription fee.

I realize that most of the 1Password 7 kinks have been worked out, but not all -- and there are still new kinks being introduced. What I value about 1Password 6 is that it was designed with users like me (whose vaults are stored on the filesystem) as first class citizens, and it's no longer being developed so users like me will remain first class citizens and won't be faced with new bugs.

• What I value about 1Password 6 is that it was designed with users like me (whose vaults are stored on the filesystem) as first class citizens, and it's no longer being developed so users like me will remain first class citizens and won't be faced with new bugs.

That's definitely an interesting way to look at it. To be fair we do need to do better about QA in 1Password 7 in this area, but I'm not sure that staying on a legacy product is a viable solution.

We appreciate the feedback and are discussing how we can do better.

Thanks.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.