Multiple Copies of 1Password - Assumptions/Questions

Options
2»

Comments

• dougl
    dougl
    Community Member
    Options

Perhaps I'm just not understanding, but why is 1P different than every other application - including sandboxed ones - that have some form of agent? Is it your decision to not use a .plist file in launchagents or launchdaemons? If so, perhaps that needs to be revisited as having to not backup the very first application I'd need to use after migrating or restoring seems like a rather large design flaw.

Aside - Time Machine is completely inadequate for a full system restore - aside from silent corruption and widespread incompatibility (e.g. virtual machines, disk images, etc), it doesn't backup the entire machine the way clones do.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Perhaps I'm just not understanding, but why is 1P different than every other application - including sandboxed ones - that have some form of agent? Is it your decision to not use a .plist file in launchagents or launchdaemons? If so, perhaps that needs to be revisited as having to not backup the very first application I'd need to use after migrating or restoring seems like a rather large design flaw.

@dougl: I'm not quite sure what you're asking here, but a pretty fundamental difference between 1Password and pretty much anything else is that people expect to be able to use it in their browsers. Back in version 3 we had a separate "agent" process like you seem to be suggesting, but that still causes some odd issues for people who've left it installed even while using subsequent version. We've been moving away from that sort of thing ever since. What are you trying to accomplish exactly though?

Aside - Time Machine is completely inadequate for a full system restore - aside from silent corruption and widespread incompatibility (e.g. virtual machines, disk images, etc), it doesn't backup the entire machine the way clones do.

Sure, if you're trying to restore every bit. But I haven't had any trouble restoring my data from a Time Machine backup onto a Mac that already has the OS installed. The OS and most apps are going to be pretty redundant after all. But a clone is good to have to be able to boot from in a pinch. But I think that gets us back to the first part: you can always install a fresh copy of 1Password from the App Store or our website, and there's nothing preventing you from keeping a zipped backup copy locally.

However, it's important to note that this old discussion is irrelevant to the current version of 1Password, which doesn't have a separate app for mini that needs to be able to connect to.

This discussion has been closed.