Safari Extension not working at all

garethunderhill
garethunderhill
Community Member

I'm running 1password 7, MacOS Mojave Beta. Have just started to switch back to Mac and 1password and can't get the extension to recognise that I have the full programme installed at all. Everything is on latest versions including Mojave Beta.

Thanks in advance for any help! If I can't get it resolved I'm going to end up having to use something else, which is a shame as I really like this set up!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• garethunderhill
    garethunderhill
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

I'm having the same issues and can't get it to connect at all. You are not alone! I'm reporting it separately, I thought it was an issue connected to the fact I'm running the Mojave beta, but it would seem not. I've uninstalled and reinstalled; no joy!

This comment was moved here from: 1password safari issues.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @garethunderhill! I'm sorry for the trouble you're having just now. You said in your first post "switch back to Mac and 1Password." Can I ask: where were you switching from? Were you previously using 1Password on a PC? Or was it some other password management solution? I'm happy to help you, but I'll need a bit more information -- what specific version of 1Password do you have installed, what version of 10.14, and what version of 1Password extension in Safari? Thanks in advance.

• garethunderhill
    garethunderhill
    Community Member

Hi Lars,

thanks for your response. I was originally with 1Password, but switched to Android and ChromeOS for a short while and used LastPass which worked well with that set up. I'm back to MacOS and iOS so I'm coming back to 1Password as I prefer it on these platforms. Versions are as follows:

MacOS: 10.14 Beta (18A314k)
    Safari: Version 12.0 (14606.1.20.40.3)
    1Password: 1Password 7 Version 7.0.7 (70007001)
    Extension: 1Password 4.7.1

Thanks!!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@garethunderhill - I'm guessing you have the extension downloaded from us directly? That may be the issue here: in Mojave, Apple appears to be blocking 3rd-party extensions, meaning that you'll have to download directly from the Safari Extensions Gallery. Please remove your existing copy of the 1Password extension from Safari, then visit the Safari Extensions page for 1Password and install it directly from there. See how that works for you.

• lonbaker
    lonbaker
    Community Member

Actually, Apple requires extensions be submitted and installed from the Mac App Store as part of enhancing security in Mac OS Mojave.

AgileBits will have to submit their extension there.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@lonbaker - thanks for the input. To be clear, Apple's own Safari Extensions documentation states:

Legacy Safari Extensions refers to the legacy .safariextz-style Safari extensions. Legacy Safari Extensions distributed outside of the Safari Extensions Gallery are not supported in Safari 12. Legacy Safari Extensions distributed in the Safari Extension Gallery are deprecated, and Safari 12 is the last release to support them. New submissions to the Safari Extensions Gallery will be accepted until the end of 2018.

We did have our version of SAE (Safari App Extension) included with some of the beta releases of 1Password 7 for Mac, but due to some issues we're currently working out with Apple directly, we had to remove it to hit our launch (especially since Mojave was not then and still is not now released officially). Given that Apple will be accepting new SEG submissions until the end of 2018, we felt this was a better option than missing our launch target. But it does mean that early adopters of Mojave beta(s) will need to switch to the SEG version of our extension.

• garethunderhill
    garethunderhill
    Community Member

@Lars thanks for the link, that has worked. It might be worth noting, that looking for safari extensions in Mojave, you get linked to the Mac App Store and a "story" about safari extensions, that does not include 1Password.

Thanks again for your help though!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@garethunderhill - you're quite welcome! Glad I was able to assist. :)

This discussion has been closed.