new password field doesn't show password generator

m_w
m_w
Community Member

When you create a new field and select the type as Password then I would expect the password generator icon to appear; but it doesn't. Instead you have to save the item first and edit it again. Only then do you see the generator icon.

1Password Version: 7.0.7 (70007000) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: macOS 10.13.5
Sync Type: Family

Comments

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member

Hmm - this issue happened to me always when setting up a new password but since I opened this thread I can no longer reproduce it. I was trying to grab some screenshots to who what's happening but so far it's working, i.e. every I add a new field and change the type to Password, the password generator icon appears.

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member

Just happened again:

• forscene
    forscene
    Community Member

This version:
    1Password 7
    Version 7.0.7 (70007000)
    AgileBits Store

I didn't see this icon until I did the screen capture. I was changing a password for one of my web pages and wanted to have 1Password generate a new one. After several searches for the function, which I used frequently on past versions , I decided to make up my own password. Now I know where the icon is, but it seems like it may hide from other users like me.

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni

@m_w do you know the exact steps to reproduce this?

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni

@forscene your feedback has been noted :smile:. Thanks for letting us know.

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member

@JadC see my first post first sentence; that’s all there is to it :-)

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni

Hi @m_w, thanks for the followup, but I am unable to reproduce this locally. This is what I tried:
    1. Create a new login entry
    2. Add a password field to the entry under "SECTION"
    3. I then see the password generator icon.

Thus, I would like a few more details: are you editing an existing entry or creating a new one? And just to clarify: you are encountering this bug when adding a password field to a section like this correct:

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member

Correct - it happens when creating a new entry or editing an existing one but as I said, it's intermittent.

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni

Hi @m_w, if you encounter this again, mind taking a screen capture and pinging us again on this thread? Also, if it happens again, please send us a diagnostics report from your Mac so we can nail down this issue once and for all:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/93145/new-password-field-doesnt-show-password-generator#latest
    • Your forum username: m_w

That way we can “connect the dots” when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :smile:

Once we see the diagnostics, we’ll be able to better assist you. Thank you very much!

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member

I have edited and created a number of 1Password items but so far I haven't seen the issue again. I'll keep watching and will come back with the logs etc if it happens again ...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@m_w - sounds good! :)

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member

The issue happened again when editing an existing Login item:

I have sent report as requested; see #RJC-11842-149

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@m_w - do me a favor and try this: when editing an item and adding a password field, go directly to the type selector (the drop-down menu) before clicking in either the field label or the field text. Once you do that (click into either of those), 1Password 7 for Mac is expecting you to save changes, which it doesn't do if you simply change the type of the field first. In my testing, this is reproducible both ways, quite easily: change the field type first, and you'll see the password generator "gear" icon you expect (or, if changing it to a TOTP field, the QR code field icon). But when I click into either the field label or the text itself and then try to change the field, I get the behavior you're describing.

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

@Lars - yep, that's it; I get the same as you described. That explains why it appeared to be intermittent.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018

@m_w - thanks for confirming. This is something we're already tracking as a bug, but at least we know yours isn't a different issue, and for the immediate future, you've got a workaround. Thanks for your patience as we work toward a more-permanent solution for this. :)

ref: RJC-11842-149

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member

ah ok - thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@m_w - you're quite welcome! Hopefully we'll have a solution for this available before too long. Thanks for your patience. :)

This discussion has been closed.