Switching back to 1Password

Philipp
Philipp
Community Member

Hi,
When 1P is open and I switched to another app: When I switch back to 1P, then there is a nice animation where there safe is closing. But maybe that could be security problem, because for a moment I can see the details here.

Maybe you could the details something like smudge?

Comments

• m3gg3b
    m3gg3b
    Community Member

i see the same problem on beta 14. if i coming back to an locked 1p i see the last screen.

• Hey @m3gg3b and @Philipp. Can you both let me know whether you have screenshots and lock on exit enabled in 1Password's settings?

• m3gg3b
    m3gg3b
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

@peri
    Lock on exit enabled
    Screenshot disabled

If I came back to 1p I see a closing safe animation but I see the last screen for a few seconds

• Philipp
    Philipp
    Community Member

Hi @peri
    Same for me as m3gg3b wrote.

• Sbrocket
    Sbrocket
    Community Member

See attached screen recording. Whatever info happens to be on the screen when you switch away from the app gets shown again when switching back due to the lock animation, before you unlock.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17vvV2yr9eutitdAuHmXPA_DN78aaQQPz

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Sbrocket
    Sbrocket
    Community Member

Whoops, looks like the draft system doesn't save version info.

1Password Version: 7.0.BETA-14
    OS Version: Android 8.1.0 (on a Pixel 2 XL)

• Sbrocket
    Sbrocket
    Community Member

See attached screen recording. Whatever info happens to be on the screen when you switch away from the app gets shown again when switching back due to the lock animation, before you unlock.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17vvV2yr9eutitdAuHmXPA_DN78aaQQPz

1Password Version: 7.0.BETA-14
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Android 8.1.0
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Sbrocket
    Sbrocket
    Community Member

Ah, I reposted this because I couldn't figure out where the thread went. Looks like it got merged into https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/448341#Comment_448341. Would be nice if your forum system notified you of that. :)

• Sbrocket
    Sbrocket
    Community Member

@peri - I enabled screenshots specifically to get the screen recording above, but I see the same behavior locally with screenshots disabled. And yes, lock on exit is enabled.

• peri
    edited May 2019

Thanks for the update and info everyone! I'm seeing this on my end as well, and I'll report this to our development team.

ref: android-132

• Sbrocket
    Sbrocket
    Community Member

A related but different bit of feedback - The new animation is pretty slow compared to the old one, enough that it feels like it's slowing me down when I want to use 1Password. It'd be better if it didn't do the close animation when switching back to the app - which I'm guessing will be part of the fix here - but even then the open animation alone is somewhat slow.

The animation in 1Password for Mac is way faster, for comparison. I seem to remember an old old version of 1Password for iOS had a slow animation like Android has now, and it got changed to be faster.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Sbrocket: I don't believe it's the animation so much as the crypto operation being done to unlock. Have you maybe just switched to OPVault recently and seeing a difference due to its higher PBKDF2 iteration count? We've definitely continued to optimize unlocking on iOS, but that's by improving performance, not changing the animation.

• Sbrocket
    Sbrocket
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

@brenty: I just switched to a 1Password account from local vaults actually, and have only recently (this week) started using the 7.0 Android betas, starting with BETA-14, so I'm probably mentally comparing the speed to 6.x rather than previous betas (though I'm not doing a direct side-by-side comparison, it's just my impression).

I think it is just the overall unlock time that's bugging me. It's not like it's just sitting after fingerprint unlock as if it were doing something intensive, like an unlock operation. It's the combined time of "animation for doors to close + show fingerprint dialog + recognize fingerprint, shift 1Password icon from top of screen to middle + then finally animate doors opening again" after switching back to the app before I can use it that seems slow. Even without the "doors closing" animation - for example, if I switch to the launcher while already locked and then back so it doesn't need to do that animation again - the time between switching to the app and it being useable feels slow.

It's definitely a nit and I'm a bit sensitive to UI behaviors like this, but that's my feedback. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Sbrocket: Gotcha. Thanks for the feedback, and the additional details! We'll see if we can reproduce it, and optimize performance either way as we continue to develop version 7. :)

• revanmj
    revanmj
    Community Member

For me this is more of slowing down issue - I have to wait for animation to end to unlock 1Pass again. It would be much better if 1Pass would be locked from the beginning when resuming the app.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@revanmj: Can you elaborate? I'm not certain I get your meaning. It doesn't sound related to this discussion, but I'd like to understand what you're describing.

• revanmj
    revanmj
    Community Member

I mean that this animation showing up when going back to 1Pass from other app (therefore resuming it) makes user wait for it to end in order to be able to unlock and use 1Pass.

It would be better, if when resuming 1Pass, UI would be already in locked state without any locking animations, so user can immediately unlock it without waiting for animation to end.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I mean that this animation showing up when going back to 1Pass from other app (therefore resuming it) makes user wait for it to end in order to be able to unlock and use 1Pass.

@revanmj: "Resuming"/"going back to" 1Password in what sense? What steps are you taking, and what in particular is happening?

It would be better, if when resuming 1Pass, UI would be already in locked state without any locking animations, so user can immediately unlock it without waiting for animation to end.

I suspect I'm just misunderstanding what you mean. For me, when 1Password is locked, there's no animation involved when I open the window -- at least until I enter my Master Password to unlock it again. Let me know what you mean.

• revanmj
    revanmj
    Community Member

I think video will better show what I mean.

I think that, when going back from Chrome in this case, fingerprint prompt should be visible right away, without that locking animation playing out first.

Link to video: https://dropbox.com/s/sibg8m7fva03bmh/Wideo%2028.07.2018%2C%2010%2001%2035.mov?dl=0

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@revanmj: Ah, thank you! Crystal clear. :) Weirdly, that doesn't happen to that degree on my device. We'll see if we can improve performance on bringing up Nexus Imprint. Out of curiosity, what versions of Android and 1Password are you using there, and what kind of device is it?

• revanmj
    revanmj
    Community Member

Nokia 8 TA-1004, Android 8.1 with July security updates, 1Pass 7.0-BETA16

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ohhh Nokia! I've been tempted to pick one of those up myself. Thanks for the info! We'll see what we can do to make it more efficient. :)

• revanmj
    revanmj
    Community Member

Yeah, closest thing to Nexus / Pixels I can get in my country without paying a fortune :) Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• Philipp
    Philipp
    Community Member

Hi @brenty
    Also when you speeded up the screen lock animation. I strongly like to repeat my suggestion. Maybe you could find a solution that the content is something like blurred.
    Otherwise, also when the animation is really fast, maybe somebody could get an information he should never get.

• Thanks @Philipp. I'll share this with our development team.

This discussion has been closed.