Trying to upgrade to 1Pass 7 is a frustrating experience

carpii
carpii
Community Member

I had 1Pass v6 on Mac and iOS, using a Dropbox vault.
I noticed v7 was out, so downloaded and run the installer.

The first thing it does is silently uninstall 1Pass 6, and replaces it with a PDF of my 1password.com login
It also demands a master password, which I didn't know because (naturally!) I store this in 1Pass 6.

I uninstall 7, reinstall 6, copy my master password, then reinstall 7
However, one of these steps obliterates my clipboard, so once again I've lost my master password

I reinstall 6 for the second time, manually type my master password in a text editor, reinstall 7, login with my master password...
Now I'm told my 1password account is frozen, and provides no option to just load up my Dropbox Vault.

I've read the upgrade articles, which gave a very different impression..
"If you sync with Dropbox, iCloud, or the WLAN server, your sync settings will be imported the first time it runs."

Am I supposed to purchase 1Pass 7, or even have a cloud subscription, before it will allow me to just import my Dropbox vault?

I have zero clue what I'm supposed to do, and truthfully I've no idea why you've made this all so difficult and unintuitive.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: ??
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni

Hi @carpii, we are sorry that the upgrade experience was frustrating for you, but rest assured, we are here to help!

Firstly, did you install 1Password 7 from the Mac App Store or from our website? If you installed it from the App Store, you will need a 1Password Account. If you wish to remain on Dropbox sync, you will need to download 1Password 7 from our website and buy a standalone license.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns :smile:.

• carpii
    carpii
    Community Member

Hi @JadC, thanks for the reply.

I have always purchased directly from your website, since version 3.

I have not bought a 1Pass 7 license yet though.
    I really just wanted to trial it, to see whether or not I wanted to pay for the upgrade.
    Are you saying this is not possible.. I would need to buy the license in order to trial it with my Dropbox vault?

If I DO buy a license, how would I then add my Dropbox vault, if its not detecting it when I first run 1pass 7?
    I can't seem to find any feature (disabled or otherwise) which suggests I could add Dropbox if I had a license.

Thanks

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018

Hi @carpii, sadly we do not offer free trials for licenses, but you can try 1Password 7 by signing up for a 1Password membership and enjoy your first month free.

If you decide that you do not want to go with the membership and stick with Dropbox, you can purchase a standalone license. Here are the instructions for adding Dropbox to 1Password 7.

• carpii
    carpii
    Community Member

@JadC I already have a 1password account (I had to use this to even use 1password 7).

But do you mean it has to be a paid subscription?
    1password 7 does accept my login, but then shows it as frozen, so I guess thats the problem?

• A 1Password membership does require a subscription, yes. If you’d prefer to use 1Password with a license instead of a membership please see this guide:

How to move your data to a standalone vault to use 1Password without an account

I hope that helps!

Ben

• carpii
    carpii
    Community Member

Thanks @ben, it was the license option I was looking for

• :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.