Use Touch ID to unlock 1Password on Mac when no external display

alshamma
alshamma
Community Member

Hi! I have a feature request. I use my Mac in two modes:
1. Laptop display - in this mode, I want to use the Mac Touch ID to unlock 1Password
2. With external display and bluetooth keyboard - in this mode, I want to enter the 1Password password manually as my fingers are already on the keyboard

Currently, I have Touch ID enabled. This means every time I am in mode 2, I must first hit the 'esc' button, then enter the password.

Would be great if I did not have to deal with the visual distraction of having the Touch ID experience then hitting esc before typing password when in mode 2.

Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.0.6
Extension Version: 4.7.2.90
OS Version: OS X 10.13.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• @alshamma,

The only way mode 2 would work is if you also had the lid closed on the MacBook Pro. I don't see us being able to detect the presence of an external keyboard as a solution there, because I operate in that mode and I do want Touch ID even if my hands are on the external keyboard.

• alshamma
    alshamma
    Community Member

Could it be a setting to use the keyboard instead of Touch ID if an external monitor is attached?

I always work with the laptop lid open and treat the laptop as my secondary screen.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm not sure we'll do that. More settings means more complexity and potentially more bugs. And it's another thing users will have to check that can cause unnecessary confusion. Generally we'll add an additional setting when the benefit it offers far outweighs its tech debt. I'm not sure it's something we could justify at this point.

This discussion has been closed.